Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual monitors on new build

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 evti

evti

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:19 PM

I just completed my new build, and it is awesome. The one thing that could make it more awesome is dual monitors. The current monitor, a Samsung Syncmaster 2243BWX, is plugged into the graphics card, which is a Sapphire Radeon HD 7750 1GB. It is using the DVI port using the VGA to DVI adapter that came with the card. The other monitor is an old Dell monitor, and it would plug into an analog port. There is no analog port on my graphics card, so I would have to plug it into the motherboard (ASRock FM2A75 Pro4 ATX FM2). Will this work, and will it work right away? I had the monitor plugged into the motherboard right after I installed the graphics card, and the monitor was not working with the graphics card installed. So, I don't know if the presence of the graphics card overrides the ports on the motherboard, or if this is possible with some tweaking. Anything else you need to know, feel free to ask. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:19 AM

Unfortunately you were right on the button that the onboard would be disabled when the graphics card is placed. Your only choice is for the video card dual monitor support.

Tekken

#3 Zurenriri

Zurenriri

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:45 PM

You cannot use onboard video and an independent video card simultaneously.
However if you bought the non-low-profile version of the card (aka the double slot version), you can buy this to solve your problem: http://www.ebay.com/itm/310417420255

Leave the Samsung monitor plugged into the DVI port, then use this adapter in the DisplayPort, then take the VGA cable for your Dell monitor and plug it into this adapter. It should work pretty well, I used a DVI-to-VGA adapter for about a year when I had a VGA monitor and a card with no VGA support.

#4 evti

evti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2012 - 11:21 PM

you can buy this to solve your problem: http://www.ebay.com/itm/310417420255

Good idea! Can I use the HDMI port? The VGA to HDMI adapters are much less expensive, so that would be ideal cost wise

#5 The_Outkast

The_Outkast

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:17 PM

I would plug your old dell monitor into the DVI port (using the adapter you already have). Then I would connect your newer monitor using this cable (http://www.buy.com/prod/hdmi-to-dvi-cable-10ft-10-ft-for-tv-pc-monitor-computer/223163341.html) assuming 10 ft is long enough to reach from your pc to the monitor.

Edited by The_Outkast, 29 October 2012 - 08:18 PM.

#6 evti

evti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:43 PM

I would plug your old dell monitor into the DVI port (using the adapter you already have). Then I would connect your newer monitor using this cable (http://www.buy.com/prod/hdmi-to-dvi-cable-10ft-10-ft-for-tv-pc-monitor-computer/223163341.html) assuming 10 ft is long enough to reach from your pc to the monitor.

The problem with that is that my newer monitor doesn't have a DVI cable. I think it once did but I'd have absolutely no idea where it is. So both monitors are VGA right now.

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:16 AM

If you plan to use the graphic's card HDMI output going to the VGA monitor(input), you would need a HDMI to VGA converter . For the DVI, http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-DVI-Cable-Adapter-DVIVGAMF/dp/B000067SOH and another VGA cable.

Tekken

#8 The_Outkast

The_Outkast

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:25 AM

The problem with that is that my newer monitor doesn't have a DVI cable. I think it once did but I'd have absolutely no idea where it is. So both monitors are VGA right now.

The link I gave you is the cable, you would not need another DVI cable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users