Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Can't Log On To Some Sites

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Redback

Redback

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 20 March 2006 - 05:49 PM

A friend can't log on to the Weight Watchers site. The home page is OK but when she tries to logon to the members area on her home PC it fails. Her user name and password are OK because she can log on on other PCs. She's running XP Home.

Is this because she's not allowed updates, or has she got Java turned off (and how do you turn it on anyway) or has she got some other function turned off or blocking this page.

Redback

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 20 March 2006 - 06:16 PM

Hi there,

I am assuming that Internet Explorer is the Browser being used. She could try this, Open IE, and click on Tools toward the top left of the window. Click the Internet Options option from the menu.

In the window that pops up, click the Security tab. Then click on Trusted Sites . You should notice a button that reads Sites, click this button, and add the web address to the site that is giving you trouble into the list. Remember, only add sites that you are sure about.

There are many things that may cause this problem, but I recommend trying this first, that way your security settings are left alone. If that does not work, post back and Im sure this can be remedied quickly.

Hope this helps,

nos :thumbsup:
When I'm right, I'm right....
And when I'm wrong, I could have been right....
So I'm still right, cause I could have been wrong.

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 20 March 2006 - 07:12 PM

Redback,

Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Take a look here. See if those steps will solve your problem. If not, please post back with exact URL's and error messages.

Be ( https: )Safe

Da Bleepin AniMod Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 21 March 2006 - 12:42 AM

If it is a java problem download java from the people who invented it - Sun Microsystems:

Freeware:
http://www.java.com/en/

It will replace Microsoft's version and run better.

Edited by Enthusiast, 21 March 2006 - 12:42 AM.

#5 Redback

Redback
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2006 - 03:49 PM

Many thanks guys - I'll try all of your solutions next Monday and report back.

#6 Redback

Redback
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2006 - 05:48 PM

It's not a security issue - it could be a ActiveX issue but I couldn't apply SP2 which I suspect would have solved the problem because there were some files missing (that's what SP2 said). Owner didn't have disk to reintall Windows - so stuck.

#7 txtechgeek

txtechgeek

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 01 April 2006 - 06:44 PM

Redback,
It's not an ActiveX problem since I use Firefox to access their site. You might want to download and try logging in to WeightWatchers with Firefox.
If you reach for the stars, you may not get one but at least you won't come up with a handful of mud -- Leo Burnett

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users