Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ubuntu performance

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:45 PM

Hi,ive just started using kubuntu,dual booting with my win xp(im only using the kubuntu at the moment cause xp has yet again shot itself in the foot and wont boot):)
At the moment im using a smallish 315 mb hard drive,windows is running 160gb of external drives to make up for that ,cause i write a lot and also store a lot of artwork.
I really like the feel of ubuntu and will use it more from now on,can anyone give me any tips on performance so i can move
between programs faster and or have a couple open at the same time without huge waiting times for them to open.
Also given limited system resources at the moment, could someone advise me on an antivirus strategy for kubuntu(windows is becoming rediculous:)
Any thoughts appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:39 PM

Antivirus usually isn't a problem. It's not needed, but it doesn't bother anything. If you have limited resources, that changes. I wouldn't install it.

Specs for your machine would help. However, the usual things that help can still help: a little more disk drive space; more RAM; a light desktop; a faster hard drive.

If you can't do the first two or last one (you could do one of them by dumping Winders and giving all its space to linux, but that's your decision to make and live with), you can still do something with the third one. Kubuntu isn't the lightest distro with the lightest desktop. You can get pretty much the same thing by using Xubuntu, which is lighter with XFCE than KDE on Kubuntu. Or you could use Lubuntu, which is even lighter, sporting the LXDE desktop.

It's even possible to install one of the other desktops and use that without ever losing Kubuntu. However, sometimes the desktops don't work quite as well as using the distros that are set up with them in the first place. Plus you have the problem of using up even more space unless you uninstalled KDE after you're satisfied with the new desktop.

Barring that, turn off all of the effects you can (fading windows, wobbly windows, shading around the edges, window animations, etc) if you can't part with Kubuntu.

By the way, I was in a similar situation to you back in 1997 (laptop with 780M drive, 128M RAM, dual-boot Windows and linux, plus it had all of the linux install files on the same drive in the Windows partition because it didn't have a CD drive). After a few months of struggling and dual-booting, I wiped the drive, installed linux (Redhat at the time) and never again owned a machine with Windows on it that wasn't wiped right away. And I haven't missed a thing.

#3 DarkSnake-Kobra

DarkSnake-Kobra

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:07 PM

Hi Wolverine 7 :)

Personally, I use and recommend Xubuntu over Kubuntu as KDE has always been buggy in my experience. Tends to crash a lot. Plus Xubuntu is lighter and a bit faster running a GTK based desktop. However, it's only supported for 3 years unlike Kubuntu and Ubuntu Desktop which is 5 years.

ClamAV should be sufficient. If you have not make sure you run "sudo ufw enable" in a terminal to enable the Uncomplicated Firewall since it's disabled by default.

#4 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:31 AM

Thanks a lot guys,seems like good advice,ill have a good look at those
I must admit,ubuntu seems to leave windows behind as an os in a lot of ways.
Im seriously considering droping it entirely,or just occasional use for a few programs
Thanks for the imput.:)

Edited by Wolverine 7, 26 October 2012 - 07:13 AM.

#5 DarkSnake-Kobra

DarkSnake-Kobra

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:10 AM

You're welcome. :) Happy to hear you found the world of open source and freedom. :)

#6 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:37 PM

Well thanks again,i must say im impressed with ubuntu,i had a (well earned):) day of today and some time to twiddle.
I didnt realize(not having had much time to experiment)that id be able to just go to my external drives use my documents etc
and play my mp3 s nd so on,without a load of fiddling about,what a relief-sans much of the windows irritations also:)exellent online too-crystalclear nd smooth.
cool:)

Edited by Wolverine 7, 26 October 2012 - 07:39 PM.

#7 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:52 PM

HI,I have been looking Ubuntu for some time,but have held for quite awhile like years
because when i started looking into it,it was really confusing to use as a novice.
I have UBUNTU FORUMS in my book of sites and UN&PW,is there a play list on how to
get started so it, is not as confusing as it used to be.
I have a DELL E521,2.5GB RAM,160GB HDD,Nvidia GS 7300 VIDEO CARD if this helps,thanks

#8 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:11 PM

Hi Lovemypc,you probly should have started a new thread,but anyway-maybe you could dual boot your windows with ubuntu
like i did and play around with it while you learn,theres loads of info and forums on the net.
Ubuntu doesnt seem so complicated to me and ive been using it for two days-just take youre time and expect to invest a bit of time in learning how too use it.Learning the way the systen works,and the commands(which arent so difficult when you get used too them)-Ubuntu seems pretty user friendly too me and ime no expert.
Also easy to set up too dual boot cause it will do it automatically at the install if you select it.
Give it a go:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users