Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

OE 6.0 Corrupted - won't run

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 bhl

bhl

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:40 PM

It starts to run, but then I get an error message that "a problem was encountered". I click debug and nothing happens. :angry: I'm thinking I need to reinstall OE, but can this be done without having to reinstall XP? Would I also need to backup my old mail messages, or would they be unaffected by the process?

I was going to use to remove/add programs tool, but something said I better check first here. As I recall I would unclick OE in the tool, and then run it. Then I'd have to reclick OE and run it again.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:30 AM

Hello bhl -
Have you made a quick call to your Internet Provider yet ??
They will set it up fully for you for free, and check all your other settings for you -

I can provide several links for you, or you can Google "Reinstall OE6" and get quite a few answers that give you instructions -

Good Luck -

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:42 AM

When you get the "a problem was encountered" is there more included in the error message? If there is please post the entire message.

If you email address/account name is in the message xxx the part before @wherever.com/net

#4 bhl

bhl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:36 PM

When you get the "a problem was encountered" is there more included in the error message? If there is please post the entire message.

If you email address/account name is in the message xxx the part before @wherever.com/net

The rest of the message says that it needs to shut down and asks if you want to send MS a report.

I deleted the DBX files from the Identities folder in the event one of them was corrupted, but that didn't fix the problem. I'm thinking it might be registry. I don't understand what you meant by "If you email address/account name is in the message xxx the part before @wherever.com/net"

#5 Iam Legend

Iam Legend

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:19 AM

I would suggest you perform sfc /scannow or do a System Restore to an erlier date.

You will loose the softwares that you have installed, if you perform a system restore.

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:03 PM

I would suggest you perform sfc /scannow or do a System Restore to an earlier date.

You will loose the softwares that you have installed, if you perform a system restore.

Hi Iam Legend,
That is not quite right. If you restore to an earlier date you only lose any software that was installed after that date. Anything installed prior to the restore date chosen stays working. Also no data files are lost.

However performing a System Recovery back to the factory new state will lose everything.

Why not try using Thunderbird for a email client. It will import from OE and works similar. I use it myself since there is no OE for Windows 7.

Software made to make email easier.
Thunderbird is a free email application that's easy to set up and customize - and it's loaded with great features!

One other thing that can be tried:
Needed will be the XP Disk, Product key (License) with those you can boot off of the XP disk, Select the second repair option where it shows the windows found and asks if you want to repair them. R
That deletes all the windows files and reinstalls them from the CD. Then you have to install all the service packs and Internet Explorer 8 so download them first. As IE will crash afterwards.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 27 October 2012 - 03:04 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#7 bhl

bhl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:25 PM

I did sfc /scannow but I don't have an XP disk. I don't know if HP loaded the files somewhere on C: or not. But everytime the app asked for a disk, I just skipped and continued. Upon reboot it ran chkdsk and found some errors. It was unable to fix a log file (don't recall which one); and now there's another log file that is corrupted (APSDaemon). On top of that my Kaspersky is now failing to update. I'm starting to wonder if this is a sign that my HDD is on the verge of crashing.

#8 bhl

bhl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:27 PM

I thought about trying to restore to an earlier date. But I'm not sure how to do that.

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:45 AM

How to restore Windows XP to a previous state using System Restore.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306084

I Suggest running a Hard Drive disk check. This one should work on any brand.
On this page http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/201271en

Read and choose the Windows version or the preferred Bootable CD version http://www.seagate.com/support/internal-hard-drives/consumer-electronics/ld25-series/seatools-dos-master
Run the short and the long test and report back. Do no fixes at this time as they could lead to data loss. Do not do a system restore if the drive fails the tests.
I suggest backing up the drive first before doing anything more.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#10 bhl

bhl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:53 PM

Both the Short and Long HDD tests passed. So it appears I have some corrupted files which only got worse because I did the sfc without the XP disks. I guess I have two choices; restore to an earlier date or get hold of XP disk and try the sfc again.

The other goofy thing that is happening that I forgot to mention is that chkdsk/f now runs whenever I boot up. Would restoring to a week ago (problem was noticed thursday) correct corrupted files?

#11 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:01 AM

Hi -
chkdsk/f is not to repair or correct anything - Also it should be chkdsk /f with a space between the k and /
Last option not yet mentioned - Run Checkdisk R

Run a Disk Check on your C: drive in Windows XP:

•Click Start and open My Computer
•Right-click on C: and select Properties
•Click on the Tools tab
•Under Error-checking click the Check Now... button
•Mark the 2 boxes next to Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors
•Click on the Start button
•When the message box pops up, click the Schedule disk check button and >> Reboot your computer
•Once your computer restarts it will check the drive, don't press any keys so that it is allowed to do so
This will take about 1 hour (on average) depending on your system
When finished the computer will reboot itself back to Normal Mode -

#12 bhl

bhl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:05 AM

Hi -
chkdsk/f is not to repair or correct anything - Also it should be chkdsk /f with a space between the k and /
Last option not yet mentioned - Run Checkdisk R

Run a Disk Check on your C: drive in Windows XP:

•Click Start and open My Computer
•Right-click on C: and select Properties
•Click on the Tools tab
•Under Error-checking click the Check Now... button
•Mark the 2 boxes next to Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors
•Click on the Start button
•When the message box pops up, click the Schedule disk check button and >> Reboot your computer
•Once your computer restarts it will check the drive, don't press any keys so that it is allowed to do so
This will take about 1 hour (on average) depending on your system
When finished the computer will reboot itself back to Normal Mode -

That reminds me. A few months ago, I tried defragging, but got a message that defrag couldn't be performed because chkdsk was scheduled to run, which it wasn't. I actually did back then, what you are suggesting now. Chkdsk never ran upon reboot. Of course, as I mentioned above, chkdsk is continually running upon startup. I went to the tools tab and the boxes are NOT checked. My system is defintiely haywired. I can live with the nusiance of OE not working, chkdsk running, and not defragging. Can't live with Kaspersky not updating.

#13 bhl

bhl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:21 PM

Update: I burned the XP SP3 ISO (obtained from MS website) onto a DVD and reran sfc/ scannow. I clicked OK when it asked me to insert the CD. Nope, it said wrong disk. At this point I dont know what disk it is looking for.

#14 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:52 PM

Try to run the Check Disk scan as listed and this may stop the loop you think you are in -

If CheckDisk was running after a reboot, it would look like Safe Mode and you would not be able to use the computer -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users