Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help installing SSD

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 JMosely22

JMosely22

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:25 PM

just got the 256gb ssd and a new samsung laptop......

i made recovery cd's using samsung's program and it said it went fine, it was a total of 5 dvd's.... i already put the ssd in, but i tried installing windows with the first cd and cant get it to install..... i was wondering if anyone could help me out?

should i get an enclosure and put the original hdd in there and use that software to clone the hdd?

should i buy windows 7 or 8 and just use a fresh copy?

is my damn drive broke or the ssd bad? ughhhhh

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:57 PM

Is the SSD recognized in the BIOS?

Any error messages during install? Is the computer booting from your restore disks?

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 JMosely22

JMosely22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:41 PM

dp, after i pressed the power button i inserted the first recovery cd. it went to "loading windows" then the "Sasmsung recovery system" shows up. it loads "windows files" and then no matter what option i select, whether it be complete back up, or restore windows, it doesnt work. i think when i try to do complete backup, it says insufficent space. and when i do basic backup, it says something about booting from the dvd drive....

as soon as the "setup" screen comes up and says f2, i pressed f2 to bring up the setup screen and went over to the "boot" tab. the first option was dvd drive, which is what i ran several times. the next option was "Samsung SSD 830" drive...... is this what i should select? nothing at all is on the SSD drive... the next2 or 3 options are usb ports (which i dont have because i made recovery dvd's, no usb flash drives)

should i switch to SSD drive? i thought i wouldn't because ppl told me i would only need the recovery dvd's. (from the dvd drive, automatically)

#4 JMosely22

JMosely22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:46 PM

dp, please feel free to pm me bro! whichever u prefer

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:31 PM

You might very well have to format/partition that drive before the restore disks will work. I got a bad feeling about that. Never have worked on a Samsung system yet, so I don't know the intricacies of them. What is the model#? I want to find the owners manual for it just to look through it.

http://www.partitionwizard.com/download.html I just got through downloading, virus scanning, burning, booting a system with that a minute ago, and it seems to work. Download the Bootable CD/ISO (bottom of page) 47 meg, burn it to disk and use that to partition your SSD and see if your restore disks work. You could also slave your SSD on another system or use an adapter/enclosure to partion it.

Just got through building/upgrading a system with that exact SSD, it is snappy.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#6 JMosely22

JMosely22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:42 PM

here is the ssd i bought: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147164

and this is the laptop i bought: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834131303

ughh man, no one said i had to partition it, ppl just said i had to create recovery cd's......well, whatever it is, i just want to do it right

#7 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:50 PM

Well, you could have a problem with your recovery DVDs to. I remember burning those DVDs with my old HP lappy so I could erase the restore partition for more disk space, and finding out a week later they didn't work. Due to the nature of my business, I had several different HP OEM XP disks around so no loss.

Only reason I brought up the partitioning was your post "i think when i try to do complete backup, it says insufficent space". If your setup doesn't detect an actual partitioned disk, you might get that error.

#8 JMosely22

JMosely22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:05 PM

i think that is probably whats causing this. all the dvd's burned fine and told me to insert 1 dvd after each other......

what if i bought windows 8 though?? i only installed just the win7 and programs that samsung had on the hdd, no extra programs on my end....if i just bought win8 and put them in the dvd drive, that should be fine right??

#9 JMosely22

JMosely22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:11 PM

dp, let me know your thoughts as soon as you see this..... im going to bed but will be back FIRST thing in the morning.....i may try that partition link you provided........or just buy windows 8 for $100... not sure yet

#10 JMosely22

JMosely22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:13 AM

bumping for more info!

#11 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:41 PM

I got no more info for you, unless you got more info for me. Any luck yet? Did you get the drive partitioned?

You know, any XP/VISTA/WIN7 disk can be used to partition/format, and then you can run your restore disks again if you wish.

#12 JMosely22

JMosely22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:04 AM

have not tried anything yet because i dont want to mess around anymore

someone told me i could use this site for windows 7 home premium, burn it to a disc and then install it on my laptop. is this correct?

http://www.mydigitallife.info/windows-7-iso-x86-and-x64-official-direct-download-links-ultimate-professional-and-home-premium/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users