Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Could I find a driver for this cheapie webcam online?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Alliecat

Alliecat

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:58 PM

First of all, I do frequently say "you get what you pay for", so the fact that this was $5 led me to think it might be a piece of junk... Having a webcam isn't terribly important to me; just thought it might be fun to skype with a couple of friends. So I took a punt on this; figured I could afford to lose $5. (I actually paid more for a seller whose feedback at the time was better than others I'd looked at... :unsure: )
So, the advertised "software disk" was of course not included... I'm waiting for a reply from the seller but wondered if there might be a driver online somewhere. This is a generic little thing so I'm not hopeful. It says "QianGuan" on the cable if that's helpful.
This is the model:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/320881729652
Does anyone know if an online driver exists?
Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:24 AM

Those webcams as seen from your link should have come with a CD driver but has no online support.

Tekken

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:39 PM

Hi

From your own link

Plug and Play no need to load drivers with all Windows above Windows 98 (which does require a driver)

What I found which seems to confirm it: http://shop11.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20_140&products_id=572

Driverless no need install driver (Win 98 need driver)

If you are not running Windows 98 it appears no drivers are needed.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 Alliecat

Alliecat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:47 PM

I have XP, on which computer the cables don't reach between the USB & the microphone jacks. I can get a picture only, but it doesn't do anything else. On the old computer where it plugs in properly, it does not work at all. That one still has WinME, but a window pops up asking for software installation. As there is none, it doesn't work.

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:27 AM

Not a big surprise to me that the cables are short. I suppose you have two options, Use it with the XP computer and get a Extension cable for the microphone or get a USB extension cable. Also no surprise that it doesn't work with ME. ME and Windows 98 are in a different software family than Windows 2000, XP, Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8

If it were mine I'd probably get an extension cable to use it on the XP machine.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 27 October 2012 - 09:29 AM.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#6 Alliecat

Alliecat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:49 PM

Belated thanks.
Got the USB extension.
Thanks to other computer problems, had to get a refurb desktop which it does fit, & which also runs XP, & the ME machine is toast. Looks like it will work.

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:39 AM

I'm glad to hear you solved the problem.

Have a good New Year
Roger

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users