Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cisco RV180W with private VPN service

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 chrish8

chrish8

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:49 PM

Hello I was hoping someone will be able to assist me with this question. I currently use a VPN service ( https://www.privateinternetaccess.com) from my home office (to hipe my IP) .

I am using a general router with Tomato and have the service work by using the OPENVPN client that is built in, so all my devices when connected route through a US IP. the issue I have is Tomato does not allow my Nortel PC Client (work phone dialer) to work (I think it blocks the ports to head office). I have run DD-WRT on the router and the PC Client works fine but DD-WRT is not that stable on my router.

So it brings me to the conclusion that I need to upgrade to another router and before I go get another Netgear home type router I was considering to get either the Cisco RV180W or Cisco WRVS4400N.

Now my question is since these are both VPN routers would it work. I.E can I simple just plug in my details from privateinternetaccess.com and have it all work or is the Cisco VPN completely different? Or would getting a better router supported by DD-WRT be better?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:42 PM

:welcome: To BleepingComputer.

What encryption type are you using with the VPN client PPTP or IPSEC?

Edited by Sneakycyber, 25 October 2012 - 05:42 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 chrish8

chrish8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:50 PM

sorry for the delay I have been away for a while.

I am not sure the answer to that as on my tomamtoe router and DDWRT it would go through openvpn.

Howeber the service is https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/how-it-works/ and the website says it upports the following.

Technologies
PPTP
OpenVPN
IPSEC/L2TP
SOCKS5 (Proxy)

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:30 AM

The rvs4000n can only do site to site ipsec vpn or client server via Cisco's quickvpn software. I just removed one of these from service after three years of constant head aches. It would randomly lose its settings. After upgrading the firmware the vpn stopped working. My suggestion for a light duty soho vpn router is to look at something other than Cisco products.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users