Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading laptop to SSD

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 trashcan7

trashcan7

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:21 AM

So recently my laptop has been acting up, which I believe is the hard drive starting to fail. But good news is that this gives me an excuse to upgrade to an SSD!

I have a Toshiba Satellite P755.
The SSD I am considering buying is the Samsung 830 256GB. This should work, right? What else will I need to upgrade the laptop? I assume some sort of SATA/USB cable to clone my existing drive, as well as a case to convert the HDD into an external drive. Would it just be worth the extra $20 for the notebook upgrade kit?

Edited by trashcan7, 25 October 2012 - 09:28 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:50 AM

There is software like Acronis True Image, Norton Ghost, or Disk Imaging that will "clone" the contents of your hdd, but they aren't cheap.

Another option would be to purchase an external enclosure which attaches via USB and just copy and past data from one to the other. If you have multiple files that you want to move you can hold down the Ctrl key and click on files which you wish to copy and then paste into the SSD.

Just curious here, how are you going to install the operating system?

Edit: I just learned of a free application which you can use to clone your hdd, you can check it out at Macrium.

Edited by dc3, 25 October 2012 - 10:32 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 trashcan7

trashcan7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2012 - 03:30 PM

I assumed that cloning the drive would also clone the OS so that I wouldn't have to install it. Is this wrong? I would like to keep all the partitions, including the one with the factory reset stuff.

Apparently Windows 7 has its own cloning utility? Have you heard about this? Or any other freeware out there will do fine.

So all I need to get is something like this external enclosure (feel free to suggest alternatives), find a freeware cloning software, and I should be good to go?

Edited by trashcan7, 25 October 2012 - 03:37 PM.

#4 Kagamin

Kagamin

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 25 October 2012 - 04:15 PM

I believe he is asking about how you will run the software that will clone the hard drive, since the SSD will have no system on it to begin with.

For example, Macrium allows you to clone and restore onto another hard drive, but you must be able to open the program on the drive you want to restore to. Since the SSD has no operating system installed, how are you going to open the program on it? (Pardon me if I said anything wrong, I have never used Macrium, nor have I ever changed my disk before.)
For your purposes though, that upgrade kit seems like it might be helpful.

Edited by Kagamin, 25 October 2012 - 04:16 PM.

#5 trashcan7

trashcan7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:39 PM

I was planning on running it on the OS that is currently in my laptop now, and saving the image on the same drive (it's much less than half full). Then according to this, I can make a Windows Recovery CD and use that to restore the image onto the SSD.
But, I'm not so clear on details, so please correct me if I'm wrong or if there's an easier way, let me know.

#6 Kagamin

Kagamin

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:40 PM

I am not sure of the specifics, but it seems like this works.
At least, assuming that the Windows Recovery CD is a bootdisk that can be loaded without an OS. I'm pretty sure that it will be, but if that's not the case, then you'd need to find a different way.

This also seems like the easiest way to me :)

Also, depending on what you mean by "acting up", that old hard drive that you aren't using would be great for storage and backup.

#7 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:51 AM

To clear things up here, Samsung provides you with Norton Ghost which you can use to clone your drive. So the process is, the software clones your hard drive to the SSD, after that you take out the hard drive and place in your SSD which then it should boot up. I've done this twice with the Intel Data Mitigation Software which is really simple and easy.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#8 trashcan7

trashcan7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:59 AM

Thank you for the advice! I didn't know Norton Ghost made it so easy. I'm guessing it also takes care of whatever optimization for SSD's are necessary? (I've heard stuff about alignment can be off when just cloning). And will it clone all the partitions? Also, Norton Ghost only comes with the Notebook Upgrade Kit, which is an extra $20. Do you think it is worth it, or is there freeware out there that does similar thing?

Edited by trashcan7, 26 October 2012 - 09:33 AM.

#9 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:19 PM

Your better off with Intel's solution as that is sooo much easier and can simply buy the cheapest 2.5" enclosure for this as i bought a $7 which did the job.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users