Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ppt corrupted / fonts changed / images swopped for no reason?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 randomystique

randomystique

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:00 PM

i swear this is the weirdest problem i've come across in my entire life.

As mentioned in the title, I have many PPT files stored on my dropbox and these things happen randomly to a couple of my PPT files :

1. They occasionally get corrupted and can't be opened at all. It's fortunate that I have 'dropsync' on my phone (in download mirror mode), so i keep a workable copy on my phone all the time.

2. the fonts change by themselves on some of the slides. e.g. it's supposed to be all TNR - then it randomly changes some of my paragraphs to my custom fonts.

3. Some of the images in the PPT file are swopped from one file to another.

This really sounds like a prank, but i'm very sure it isn't. I'm also quite sure my dropbox isn't hacked, because i checked the logs and there is no suspicious activity. Furthermore, i have 2FA activated.

doesn't seem to be a virus too - i did a complete scan with NOD32 and didn't find anything at all.

what's irritating is i cannot reproduce the problem; it happens intermittently.

what should i do? :/

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sarah_Anderson

Sarah_Anderson

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:30 PM

That doesn't sound like the kind of thing that viruses/trojans normally do. And if you did have a file corrupting virus (like Virut or Sality) I'm pretty confident that NOD32 would detect it.

File corruption is usually caused by errors on the hard drive.

Have you tried running a full disk ckeck? (chkdsk /r)

#3 N. Sem

N. Sem

• Banned Spammer
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2012 - 02:59 AM

Why am I so sure that your PowerPoint presentation is damaged? Yes, it is. Just try to repair it. :busy:

#4 N. Sem

N. Sem

• Banned Spammer
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:38 AM

Just try these solutions: :busy:
  • Use "Open and Repair" function to repair your corrupt PPT file.
  • Try to open your PPT file in MS Word. If it works, then at least you can recover text part of your file. Just try to import your slides from corrupt PPT to a new file.
  • Last but not the least, open your PPT file in OpenOffice.
If still you are facing the problem, then you need to think about a third-party PPT recovery. Google some third-party utilities and check their demo versions.
Good luck. :thumbup2:

Edited by N. Sem, 26 October 2012 - 03:54 AM.

#5 randomystique

randomystique
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:50 AM

Hi guys,

I tried open and repair and it simply says PPT can't open the file.

tried opening ppt in Word, and it gave me a billion 'square' symbols.

3rd party recovery programs don't work.

but back to the MAIN point - i don't need to recover them because I have cloud backups.

i want to find out what exactly is causing all these strange things to happen.

sarah : yes i've done a full disk check; no issues.

#6 Sarah_Anderson

Sarah_Anderson

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:03 PM

It's always nice when a full disk check detects no errors. :)

I think the next thing I would try is a RAM check. When a file is opened it is loaded into memory (RAM). So, if the RAM is faulty, it may not save the file back to the hard drive correctly - which can cause the file to become corrupted.

There is a nice tutorial HERE on how to check your RAM.

If the RAM check finds no errors, I would try completely uninstalling MS Office and then re-installing it. (If you do this, remember to check for any Microsoft Updates afterwards.)

I hope it goes well for you. :thumbup2:

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,410 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:58 PM

Office programs have a repair feature. If you haven't tried that....it would be worth a shot.

Repair your Office programs
  • Click Start > Control Panel > Programs and Features.
  • Click the Office program you want to repair, and then click Change.
  • Click Repair > Continue. You might need to restart your computer after the repair is complete.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#8 randomystique

randomystique
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:30 PM

hey guys,

thanks for the advice. unfortunately after checking ram and also repairing office, it stays the same.

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,410 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 28 October 2012 - 07:58 AM

As Sarah said....a reinstall of Office should fix the problem.

Be sure you have the product key before attempting the reinstall. For more info on
using the product key: Enter the Product Key for your 2007 Office system program - Outlook - Office.com
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#10 floraanson

floraanson

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 24 October 2014 - 07:02 AM

To repair corrupt PST file of the MS Outlook you can apply Inbox repair tool which has SCAN.PST file. After apply this tool if you are unable to access you Outlook account or PST file then it is a best way to apply a third party tool  PST file are more useful and effective tool and to  repair corrupt PST file you can download outlook pst repair tool to get instant recovery of the corrupt data files of the Outlook application.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users