Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer slows down for ~1-5 mins about 5-20mins after start up

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 brushman

brushman

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:27 PM

Hi everyone,

My computer, about 5-20 minutes after start up, slows down so much that I can hardly do anything for 5 minutes. I either A) wait it out till my computer goes back to running normally (takes 1-5 minutes) or B) hold my off button and restart (or actually shut down the normal way but it takes forever) but upon restarting the same thing happens again.

I have no idea whats causing this. When its happening I check my CPU usage and its nothing unusual (0-30%). I have scanned with Malwarebytes (nothing), Microsoft Security Essentials (nothing), and Superantispyware (deleted a few adware cookies). Besides this slow down period, I see no other symptoms of malware. The only weird thing is for some reason I always get PC Issue in the bottom right hand corner that says Windows Defender/MSE is off, and asks me to turn one of them on, but I already have MSE running. I click the issue and tell it to turn on and update MSE, after which it stops bugging me but it comes back at least sometimes after I restart.

The computer: a 2-3 year old dell laptop, been dropped a couple times but I've never had that cause problems before, windows 7.

Any ideas?
Thanks

Edited by brushman, 24 October 2012 - 09:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:44 PM

Try downloading Speccy and then install the program. To post and publish a snapshot of your PC.
. In the Menu bar, click File -> Publish Snapshot
. Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
. On your next reply, right-click on a empty space and click Paste on reply box then click Post.

Tekken

#3 brushman

brushman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:07 AM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/0V1edNucwJzr4SnMkqYLobz

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:50 AM

Run a windows diagnostic test for your hard drive http://storage.toshiba.com/storage-services-support/warranty-support/software-utilities and use the short and long test. Download and scan also with free Malwarebytes. Any threats found use the remove button and reboot when required. Post the log on your next reply.

Tekken

#5 Iam Legend

Iam Legend

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:04 PM

Try this

Click on Start and type msconfig in the search bar >> Hit Enter.

Select the the option "Selective Startup" in the General Tab.

Then go to Services Tab.

Check the box beside Hide all Microsoft services.

Disable the services that you do not use. (Uncheck the boxes for unwanted services like Google update service, Yahoo updater etc..)

Then go to Startup Tab Click on "Disable All" button

Restart the computer.
It would increase the startup speed.

To speed up the computer...

CLick on Start >> Type sysdm.cpl in the search bar and hit enter.

Go to Advanced Tab >> Click on Settings button under Performance.

Under Visual Effects Tab

Select the option "Adjust for Best performance"

Then select the mentioned options from the below list
1. Use visual Styles on Windows and buttons-ON
2. Show thumbnails instead of icons - ON
3. Enable Aero Peek - ON
4. Enable Desktop Composition - ON
5. Enable transperent glass - ON
Click on Apply

Then click on Advanced Button beside to Visual Effects button.

Click on "Change" button under Virtual Memory.

Select the System Managed Size option in the Vitual Memory window that prompts.
Click on OK on all the windows.
Restart the computer.
That should do it.

SCAN THE COMPUTER FOR VIRUS WITH MALWAREBYTES AND ROOTKIT REMOVAL TOOLS LIKE MCAFEE AND KASPERSKY TDSSKILLER FROM THIS WEBSITE.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users