Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Who To Believe....s&d Or Windows Defender?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 computergeek522

computergeek522

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 20 March 2006 - 03:21 PM

So it's nearing finals time, and my professors have decided to use a program called "Exam Proctor" for our exams, which will basically allow us to write our finals on our laptops and also allow our profs to "watch" us and be notified if we're trying to cheat via IMs.

Anyway. The User Support Center on campus emailed us all telling us how to download Exam Proctor, yada yada yada...and then recommended that we scan our computers with both Windows Defender AND S&D, just in case we had any spyware/malware on our laptops that might possibly interfere with the workings of Exam Proctor.

I scanned my laptop with both programs. Of course, just to be ornery, each program came back with a different result.

S&D says: Congratulations! No immediate threats found!
Windows Defender says: 1 low/medium-risk program found.

I know what this program is....it's WhenUSave. Now, before anyone even asks....Yes. I do have BearShare running on my computer. But I have the paid version, which is certified spyware-free. I've also never had a popup from WhenUSave show up on my computer. Ever.

So, I don't know. Should I believe S&D when it tells me there are no "immediate threats"? I mean, my computer is working fine. I'm not having any performance issues, so I don't see what kind of damage WhenUSave could be doing, anyway. On the other hand, I would appreciate your take on this.

So....opinion? Advice? I'd really appreciate it. Thanks! :thumbsup:)

Snoofie : Computer Geek Wannabe

Dell 15R
Intel Core i5-4200U CPU @ 1.60 GHz
8.00 GB RAM
Windows 8.1, 64-bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 20 March 2006 - 04:51 PM

Information on WhenUSave

http://www.antivirusworld.com/articles/virus/savenow.php

WhenU is usually included in third-party software, such as BearShare and other peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing programs, RadLight Video Player, etc. It can also reach the computer by accessing certain web pages, which ask for confirmation to install an ActiveX control.

WhenU is a spyware program, which is usually included in applications that can be downloaded from the Internet.

WhenU provides information about the weather forecast and displays advertising pop-up windows

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 20 March 2006 - 06:15 PM

Different companies will have different criteria for what consitututes sypware, so sometimes one will find something the other did not. Using several applications will increase the changes of finding more malware.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Cyclica

Cyclica

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 20 March 2006 - 08:39 PM

Normally, S&D should detect Whenu as a threat. Perhaps it's not your situation, but, sometimes, when you install S&D and update it while installing, the first time you run it, it makes a short scanning and the "no threats found" message appears. However, if you run it a second time, it performs a real scan and should find the threats.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users