Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer randomly shuts off

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 shvidky

shvidky

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:34 PM

Hi Guys,

Hoping that someone can help me here. I have an HP Pavilion m9300t desktop with Win 7. The problem started awhile ago. I use this desktop as my HTPC and it was hooked up to the receiver. Well, one day when i was using Youtube, the computer would go to the sleep mode all of a sudden after 10 minutes or so. Basically, I could see the power button on, but couldn't bring the picture back. Always had to reboot computer a few times, but thought the issue was with my HDMI cable or the receiver. I determined that it was neither after switching HDMI cables. trying directly connecting to the TV, skipping my receiver. Same result. I decided to update my video drivers, which things ever worse. It would start shut down even faster and having all kinds of issues right away. I rolled back the driver, but the issue is still there.

Now things got worse. After I press the power button, it seems like it takes the desktop about 5 to 10 seconds to turn on, i can't even see the power button light up right away. It does boot up into Windows, but shuts off within 5 to 10 minutes. Also, now, I can hear a fan being loud, which wasn't the case before. Do you guys think it is my power supply going bad? Seems like there are so many issues, I don't know where to start the repair/troubleshooting. Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:41 PM

Have you looked inside the case to see if there is a buildup of dust, especially in the heatsink assembly on the PCU?

Over heating can cause this.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 shvidky

shvidky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:10 PM

Hi dc3,

I opened up the case and there was a bunch of dust buildup there. I turn it back on. After pressing the power button, it took about 11 seconds for it to lit up and actually start the boot up process. I almost pressed it again, cause i didn't think it worked. Now, it's been up for about 20 minutes. I didn't hear the fan going at the first few minutes, but now you can definitely hear it now. If I lay the desktop on the side, the noise is still there but it is a lot quieter. It's been up now for over 20 minutes, but i haven't been running anything. Before it would just disconnect from a monitor with the power button still on. I will report back tomorrow, leaving it at work overnight! Thanks!

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:30 AM

I would suggest purchasing a can of canned air and blow out the inside of the fan and heat sink. If you carefully place a pencil through the blades of the fan it will stop the fan from spinning while you are blowing it out.

Caution: Electrostatic discharges can damage components inside the case. To avoid this touch the metal of the case before touching anything inside.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 cee134

cee134

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 26 October 2012 - 02:20 AM

Sounds like you have 2 problems, you PC might be over heating and you might have a sleep mode issue. (You may also have a power issue)

First, I would Download PC wizard, or a core temp program that lets you see how hot your CPU and Hard Disk are running. Watch it and see if they go up before the computer shuts down. Also, it is a good idea to use compressed air to clean the components in the computer. I would make sure the computer is off first and then that the can is held up right, as it's instructions, so it doesn't blow frozen air onto any components. And be very careful not to touch anything in side your computer as a ESD, electrostatic discharge, may occur which could fry your whole system. You shouldn't have to touch anything, just unplug your computer and blow out all the dust you see. Ground yourself by touching the side of the case, where the metal is exposed, just to be safe.

2nd, if you computer is having a hard time coming back from sleep mode, there could be a couple reasons why:

-Press and hold the power button on your computer for five seconds. This should bring the computer out of Sleep Mode, or it will do the opposite and cause a complete shutdown, which should allow you to then restart the computer normally.

-Access the Control Panel via the Start Menu and select "Hardware and Sound." Click on "Keyboard." From there, click on "Hardware," "Properties" and "Change Settings." Check the box next to "Allow this device to wake the computer" under "Power Settings." This will enable the keyboard to wake the computer up from Sleep Mode in the future. It may be already set.

-Access the Control Panel via the Start Menu and select "Appearance and Personalization." Choose "Screensaver" and change the screensaver or turn it off. Some screensavers interfere with the computer's ability to enter or come out of Sleep Mode. If the issue is resolved after this, then you know it was the screensaver.

-Download any available patches to your operating system. The trouble may be the operating system rather than an issue with your HP computer. Updating the operating system can prevent the issue from reoccurring.

#6 shvidky

shvidky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2013 - 05:40 PM

Hi Guys,

Thank you very much for all your replies. Sorry, I am just getting to this right now, so many months after. I intsalled PC Wizard today and ran the test, and it looks like the NVIDIA card eventually gets to 200+ degrees celcius and fan get to 100% and computer shuts down. I cleaned the PC already from the dust and followed your other instructions. Here is the log file, but it is right after the reboot, so the numbers are lower. Should I look to replace the video card? I upgraded the driver earlier today. Thanks!

Hardware Monitoring :    Asus F8000
VIN0 :    1.66 V
VIN1 :    1.67 V
VIN2 :    1.63 V
TMPIN0 :    38 °C
TMPIN1 :    16 °C
TMPIN2 :    17 °C
FANIN0 :    1535 rpm
FANIN1 :    888 rpm
 :    
Processor Voltage :    
Voltage :    1.163 V
 :    
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad :    Sensor DTS
Core 1 :    28 °C
Core 2 :    31 °C
Core 3 :    30 °C
Core 4 :    30 °C
 :    
NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GS :    nVidia Driver
Temperature :    79 °C
Temperature (GPU) :    79 °C
Fan :    25%
 :    
Hard Disk Monitoring :    S.M.A.R.T
Hard Disk WDC WD15EARS-00Z5B1 :    28 °C

#7 shvidky

shvidky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2013 - 05:55 PM

This is 12 minutes later.

Hardware Monitoring :    Asus F8000
VIN0 :    1.66 V
VIN1 :    1.67 V
VIN2 :    1.63 V
TMPIN0 :    39 °C
TMPIN1 :    16 °C
TMPIN2 :    18 °C
FANIN0 :    1532 rpm
FANIN1 :    891 rpm
 :    
Processor Voltage :    
Voltage :    1.163 V
 :    
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad :    Sensor DTS
Core 1 :    30 °C
Core 2 :    31 °C
Core 3 :    31 °C
Core 4 :    31 °C
 :    
NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GS :    nVidia Driver
Temperature :    116 °C
Temperature (GPU) :    116 °C
Fan :    100%
 :    
Hard Disk Monitoring :    S.M.A.R.T
Hard Disk WDC WD15EARS-00Z5B1 :    29 °C

#8 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:21 PM

Well, that settles that ! The problem is with your video card - 116C and fan 100%. Remove it and give it a good clean, and when you put it back in, make sure there is nothing obstructing the airflow around it. Things like cables or even being mounted too close to another board.

If cleaning it doesn't solve your problem, then you may have to consider dismounting the heat sink and replacing the heat sink compound that provides a thermal bond between the top of the GPU and the heatsink. The only thing is, I don't know if this is a user do-able operation or not, need to look at your card specs.

Chris Cosgrove

#9 shvidky

shvidky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2013 - 06:31 PM

Ok, first of all thank you guys for all your help and being so awesome! I was able to order a replacement fan for my graphics card, installed it and computer doesn't shut down anymore!

However, I still have 2 more issues.

1. The desktop is still super noisy all the time. I understand that I need to replace a fan, but is there a way to determine whether it is my heatsink fan or the fan on the back of the tower making that noise?

2. When I power the desktop on from a shutdown position, it could take anywhere between 30 seconds to 2 minutes to actually power on. Any ideas what could cause that?

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:01 AM

1.  There's a old mechanic's trick which works well to locate where noises are coming from.  Take a long handled wooden or plastic spoon, place the handle end of the spoon against the CPU heatsink fan, then put your ear to the spoon end, this will amplify the noise.  Do this with both fans, you should notice one or these being louder, this will locate the fan having a problem.

2.  Do you occasionally get a message at startup stating the your computer is being configured?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users