Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Winrar Is Killing Me

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 john999

john999

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 20 March 2006 - 02:57 PM

:thumbsup: For some unknown reason, upon starting my Windows XP Home pc gives the following messages:
winrar has detected an unknown or corrupted file. Almost all of the programs I have installed to run at startup get the same message. I can't run ANY program except Internet Explorer or Outlook. I get a dialog box showing that my files are really there, I just can't access any of them, edit any of them, or run any of them. I do use Regedit, and regularly update my virus definitions. I scan all my drives at least once per week. There are two people who use this pc. Although I have a lot of experience, I am at a loss as to how to remove this problem. What can I do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bear

Bear

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 20 March 2006 - 03:05 PM

Why not use Startup Control Panel and stop Winrar from starting with Windows?
Posted Image

My System Specs

Comptia A+, Network + & MCP certified.

#3 john999

john999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2006 - 02:34 PM

Thanks Bear!! Any program other than Internet Explorer or Outlook just doesn't work. The error message dialog states " the file or program is corrupt or unknown format"; there are no options other than to wait for the next dialog box which wants me to buy WinRAR online for $29.00. There are no other options in this dialog box either. Very strange happenings indeed. I have NEVER seen anythin glike this. I can't even open Regedit, although I can look through my registry. I thought I might simply delete any and all references to WinRAR that I find. BTW, I emailed the folks at WinRAR. They have yet to respond. I only start this pc and go online for mail retrieval, then shut down and disconnect the cable from the modem before I cold boot.
Any other ideas or suggestions?

#4 Avro_1

Avro_1

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 22 March 2006 - 06:12 PM

I'm with the Bear on this one.
Plus have you tried doing a complete uninstall of winrar and then reinstalling, 2 see if that makes a difference....Remember computers and all that goes with them are Female and you know how temperamental they are:-)... apologies in advance ladies.

Avro_1

#5 john999

john999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2006 - 06:46 PM

Thanks for your response Avro 1

I can't start ANY program except for Outlook or Internet Explorer, and of course WinRAR!

If I could get any other program to run from an executable or batch file, I could probably lick this problem, but I can't and thats what's so tough about this issue.

Any other ideas are greatly appreciated.

#6 Avro_1

Avro_1

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 22 March 2006 - 07:10 PM

Ok John, have you tried starting up in safe mode? this loads only the very basic elements windows requires to function. If you have the experience with PC's you mention then you should be able to work from safe mode and see what the problem is. You will also have the option of selective start up and could try the last best known configuration. (Just a thought, this other person you mention hasn't been messing with the Registry?)
If all that fails it sounds as if you have 2 choices 1. A complete reinstall.I hope you have been keeping regular backups. Or 2. take it in to your nearest friendly PC shop, but if you are like most of us...we try to avoid that one.
Give us a bell and let us know how your getting on and we will see what els we can do to help.
Good Luck.

Avro_1.

#7 john999

john999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2006 - 10:33 AM

Thanks Avro_1

I have tried Safe Mode in three different options. Select Startup doesn't work like it should which is to pause at loading each module or driver and asking for permission to run. Every option that is tried to run simply screams by on the screen. I want to be able to select which application to run so I try to find the offending program.
I should mention that last night I actually was able to delete the folder containing WinRAR, and found it in the Recycle Bin. I did this by opening a dialog box to find a file, then navigating the disc to the folder in which the file is located, no mouse clicks for del;ete, but there is a del key and it worked!! However, now I cannot run any executables using .exe, .bat, or .com. Very weird.
I have more questions now, because how can any program run in the background, yet try to open in the foreground and I get asked with what other I want to open my selection with. Like when you file associate an mp3 with Winamp for example. PC Mechanic would run like this: pcmech.exe, double click to open the program, it runs.
The other person who runs this machine is my wife. She generally only uses Outlook and Firefox, and sometimes Kodak Photo software. I have her security set tight so she doesn't get bombarded with choices to make that she doesn't understand. Like installing software whilst surfing for example.
Because we need to access the internet and email, and I currently can't do this since last night when I deleted WinRAR, I am close to Recovering using my HP Recovery Console. If that doesn't work, off to the local pc shop.
If you have any other ideas, please let me know before this Friday evening. I am using my work mail to post 'cause I can't do it from home.

thanks for your help and suggestions

BTW. Canada should have built the Arrow.

#8 meatman

meatman

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2006 - 03:13 PM

Canada belongs to France! Viva La France ! :thumbsup: !!! meatman

#9 john999

john999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2006 - 11:01 AM

WinRAR update.
I deleted WinRAR fom a open with browse window by simply hitting the delete key.
I was able to start in safe mode and reinstalled windows.
I found that about 350 files were truncated to a file length of 596kb, no matter what their size was, and that by right clicking and checking their properties, they all had the same information, namely version 1.0, author Be, source banshee.exe. All these files appear to have been installed on 3/14/2006.
I know banshee could refer to the old video card software, but I doubt that program could possibly change files as to size and properties.
I now have a fresh install of Windows XP Home, SP 1, and fresh installs of several programs I use, and I have to contact my internet service provider to get back on line at home, but I think this did the trick.
Have you ever seen this kind of thing? What steps should I take to ensure my pc is truly clean now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users