Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Very Slow Boot

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:54 PM

My friend has a Dell Dimension E510 with a 60GB hard drive with over 40GB still free. It has 248 MB RAM. It is defragged. It has AVG 2013 and updated. Last scan was today. PC is 7-years-old. Opening IE takes over two minutes. Mozilla boots slow, but faster than IE. It does not have any software installed, other than Mozilla, that did not come with the PC, except what is listed in the following paragraph.

Speedy PC Pro was intalled; uninstalled today. Upon boot, error message read that windows could not open backweb-728897.exe.vir. This is associated with Kodak EasyShare: uninstalled software. Also, uninstalled "inbox coupon printer", which had changed many computer settings including home page for IE.

PC takes over 2 minutes to boot.

Help?

Cass

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,682 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:59 PM

Speedy PC Pro was intalled

Not a good idea.
Registry cleaners/optimizers are not recommended for several reasons:

• Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.
  • Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.
  • Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.
  • Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.
  • The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".
Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

=================================

I'm not very surprised that 7 years old computer with 248 MB of RAM is slow.
Assuming this is Windows XP you'd need at least 512MB of RAM to see it running better.

If for whatever reason you can't add more RAM I'd would backup all data and reinstall Windows to get rid of all accumulated garbage.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:31 PM

You do understand that I am not the one who installed speedy pc, right? It was installed before I even looked at the pc.

Now that you've given me so much superfluous data about registry cleaners, can you give me some assistance with the pc? I already knew about registry cleaners, so the response was not necessary.

As I wrote, it was installed and I had removed it. I did not write that I had installed it.

The pc is still slow, just not as slow. IE still takes a long time to open, but at least it is not redirecting... yet.

Thanks for your help.

Cas

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,682 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2012 - 02:33 PM

I'm not sure why you're upset.

...and I posted my advice:

I'm not very surprised that 7 years old computer with 248 MB of RAM is slow.
Assuming this is Windows XP you'd need at least 512MB of RAM to see it running better.

If for whatever reason you can't add more RAM I'd would backup all data and reinstall Windows to get rid of all accumulated garbage.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:27 AM

I am upset because I wrote out everything in nearly perfect English and your reply had no assistance in it. I asked for help with a problem; provided all pertinent information, and your reply was all about registry cleaners. I did not ask for a briefing on registry cleaners. I asked for help with a slow booting computer.

When a person takes time to ensure that the information provided is complete and accurate, that person expects a pertinent response.

In addition, it was running perfectly fine until two weeks ago. The slow boot was sudden. I asked when the speedy pc pro was installed, but my friend did not know anything about it. She thinks her husband may have installed it or it came with the pc. I know it did not come with the pc. The other thing she installed was a coupon printer. This reset her IE homepage to Inbox and prevented changing it. 'Inbox' was removed. My friend knows absolutely nothing about computers except how to boot, email, and play solitaire

Now, are you going to help or not?

Edited by Cassiopeia, 26 October 2012 - 07:35 AM.

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,682 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:35 AM

We can run some checks my previous advice still stands.

Download Security Check from HERE, and save it to your Desktop.

* Double-click SecurityCheck.exe
* Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
* A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.

=============================================================================

Please download Farbar Service Scanner (FSS) and run it on the computer with the issue.
  • Make sure the following options are checked:
    • Internet Services
    • Windows Firewall
    • System Restore
    • Security Center/Action Center
    • Windows Update
    • Windows Defender
  • Press "Scan".
  • It will create a log (FSS.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.
  • Please copy and paste the log to your reply.

====================================================================================

Please download MiniToolBox and run it.

Checkmark following boxes:
  • Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP configuration
  • List Winsock Entries
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Devices (do NOT change any settings here)
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size
Click Go and post the result.

Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (aka MBAM): https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/malwarebytes-anti-malware/ to your desktop.

* Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
* At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When completed, a log will open in Notepad.
* Post the log back here.

Be sure to restart the computer.

The log can also be found here:
C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txt
Or at C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txt

Download aswMBR to your desktop.
Double click the aswMBR.exe to run it.
If you see this question: Would you like to download latest Avast! virus definitions?" say "Yes".
Click the "Scan" button to start scan.
On completion of the scan click "Save log", save it to your desktop and post in your next reply.

NOTE. aswMBR will create MBR.dat file on your desktop. This is a copy of your MBR. Do NOT delete it.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#7 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:49 PM

What advice? You did not provide any advice: you provided a synopsis of the inadvisability of installing a registry cleaner. The registry cleaner referenced has been removed. So, what advice?

I do not come to this site to be abrased. I come to this site to get help. Most of my friends are elderly and have no idea how to fix a pc and have no money to pay to have a local quack work on it.

I know a bit about computers, so they ask me to to what I can do. Most of the time, I can repair it myself without assistance. When I am in need of assistance, I come here.

After your attitude, I will be desperate before I come here.

I don't need attitude, I need assistance.

#8 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:51 PM

You know what, Broni with the 'tude, forget about assisting me. I will tell my friends that bleeping computer's moderators have too much attitude to assist in such a small matter. I will tell my friends it would be best to purchase a new pc. Of course, on SSI, that won't be easy, will it.

Have a better day, because it appears you have a crappy life.

#9 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,682 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:57 PM

Unfortunately the only person with bad attitude is actually you so I'm out of here...

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users