Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Any way to auto format for HTML?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 RB_Kandy

RB_Kandy

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:35 PM

I'm wondering if there is an easy way to insert line breaks and paragraph tags.

My problem is, I want to upload a 58 page story I wrote, to my web site.
I seriously don't want to have to manually type the line break command, and the paragraph command for a 58 page document. All I need is line break and paragraph, I don't need any other auto formatting.

Edited by RB_Kandy, 24 October 2012 - 03:36 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,665 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:48 PM

If you have access to PHP you can use the nl2br function to parse the text and automatically turn new lines in <br />

#3 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:53 PM

Didn't know that one. Thanks.

#4 RB_Kandy

RB_Kandy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:37 PM

I don't know PHP

I think I am going to try some WYSIWYG html editor.

I got 58 pages, saved in a .doc, using Open Office, and there is just no way I am typing in the paragraph and line-break tags manually.

#5 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:04 PM

I'm not sure what you think an HTML editor is going to do. You are still going to have to manually make all of the changes.

Why not just put the content of the file into a textarea tag instead?

#6 RB_Kandy

RB_Kandy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:23 PM

I haven't put the entire contents of the document into a textarea because... I never heard of that until now.
I googled Textarea, still not a 100% sure what it does. Though I will look into it.

I did find a solution to my problem. I found this site http://www.textfixer.com/html/convert-text-html.php
Just paste text in one end, click convert, and it adds all break and paragraph tags for you. Converted 58 pages in less than a second.

#7 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,665 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:36 PM

I am not a big fan of posting copyrighted material into another persons site. I am not saying that there is anything wrong with that site, but who knows what they do with the information posted in it. I am sure its fine, but I am paranoid.

#8 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:31 PM

Cool! Thanks for sharing that.

#9 RB_Kandy

RB_Kandy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:33 AM

I am not a big fan of posting copyrighted material into another persons site. I am not saying that there is anything wrong with that site, but who knows what they do with the information posted in it. I am sure its fine, but I am paranoid.

from their "doc to HTML" page

This pages uses what is referred to as a client side script which means that all the converting is done on your computer, the contents of the word document are not sent to my server so if confidentiality is a concern then this tool is an appropriate solution.

Though that statement does not exist on their "text to HTML" page, but I'm guessing it's still valid, because it appears to be the same program, just a slight modification.

#10 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:46 AM

Why would you assume that? If they were careful enough to make sure that the disclaimer was in there in the first place, why would they suddenly forget to put it on another page with similar function. And it might be also worthy to note that converting a text document, which is an open source format, is different than converting a .doc, which is a proprietary data format with a very different structure.

Never assume. I would do just the opposite. I would put a trace on the page and see if the disclaimer is true.

#11 ChelseaWoolf

ChelseaWoolf

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:54 AM

Look on the menu. I think it is under the Source menu. There is a Format option. That fix your code.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users