Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Partition Problems after Linux install attempt

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 CainyG

CainyG

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:57 PM

I found the answer: In Win7 Disk Management (Control Panel/Admin Tools/Computer Management/Disk Management) Right Click the Drive, in my case "L" and select delete. Never mind the warning message that pops up about losing data, if you have no data there you do not want, and delete the Drive. This makes the drive unallocated. Then Right Click on C Drive and extend it to take back the space that was allocated for the additional drive.

I just tried to install Linux Mint on my Dell Studio Desktop 540 PC with Windows 7 SP1. Mint created its own partition and installed ( I gave it 200.6 GB). I got a "Failed to Load" error from Mint and on restart there was no dual boot option to go into Mint. I tried installing again but this time I allowed Mint to dismount the various partitions on the PC such as my USB stick and SD Card. After restart still no dual boot and I could not find the dual boot option in my BIOS. In an attempt to regain my disk space I downloaded EaseUS Home Edition but it was unable to find my now unallocated disk space. I was able to use Windows' Disk Management to extend C: into most of the unallocated disk space but I was left with 5.96 GBs of Free Space, apparently from the second install attempt. I have assigned that drive a Drive Label "L" and it is showing up as healthy and as a Logical Drive on the PC.

Now, how can I get back that drive space and assign it into C:? Or should I just use it to store files in and count my blessings? Plus, I liked the Mint OS and am using it on the DVD but am now afraid to try another install.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Edited by CainyG, 24 October 2012 - 05:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users