Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

All folders read only

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 stang

stang

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 13 November 2004 - 11:28 AM

Ok whenever I create a new folder it is defaulting to read-only, if that were not annoying enough it seems as though all of my current folders have also been swithced to read only. Changing and applying the changes in the properties is not fixing the problem. They simply return to being read-only as soon as I leave the properties screen.

If anyone knows anything about how I can fix this it would be very helpful.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 13 November 2004 - 12:42 PM

This is a misunderstanding many people make. Folders cannot be read only, only files can be. If you look closely in properties box for any folder, the 'read-only' tick-box is filled with a solid block which means that option does not apply to folders. Even if you tick it, it will change back to a solid block. Think about it, how can a folder be read-only. what would be the point? Making files read-only makes sense because it stops you from accidentally changing it. If a folder was read-only you wouldn't be able to save anything to it.

#3 stang

stang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2004 - 01:30 PM

That makes sense but then why can I not Save or downlad anything new to these folders?

#4 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 13 November 2004 - 01:57 PM

Can you give us an example of what you're doing? Most of the time I get problems like you say, or similar, it's somethin' simple. :thumbsup:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#5 stang

stang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2004 - 02:03 PM

Sure.

I am attempting to download a rather large file from fileplanet, it seems to downlaod just fine, however once it is done the file will not respond in any way. I can see it, but it doesnt do anything to doubleclick or right-click, open. Not even the fileplanet downloader responds to me asking it to run the program from there.

As soon as I restart the computer the next time the program is nowhere to be found on the computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users