Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems connecting two Airport Express Routers in Home network!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cap2587

cap2587

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:21 PM

I am having all sorts of problems with the set up and performance of two Airport Extremes at a client house. One Airport Express (AE) is connected in the basement directly to a cablevision modem. The second airport extreme is connected in the Office to an ethernet Jack in the wall. On two different occasions I have felt like they were set up correctly, but somehow the wireless is still intermittent. Sometimes I cannot connect to the wireless and other times the network just goes down. I am creating a network with the AE Basement and designating a SSID and no encryption. I am duplicating this for the 5GHZ Band as well. THen I am setting the AE- Office using a bridge connection and the same SSID and no encryption like the AE-Basement.. I have read alot about how to do this set up, but either I am not doing something right or the AE Devices are faulty. I would greatly appreciate any help or tips on how to get this set up to work. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:28 PM

Can you please include the model numbers of the Airport Extreme routers. You stated "The second airport extreme is connected in the Office to an ethernet Jack in the wall" is this "ethernet jack"connected to the Router in the basement to a LAN port? Are you attempting to create 2 separate wireless networks or just increase the coverage of the existing network.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 25 October 2012 - 06:28 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:06 PM

I think I figured out the problem. I had extend the wireless network checked on both the basement and office AE. I figured out I should create a wireless network on both and bridge off on the office AE. This seemed to have fixed the problem. Thanks for the reply.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:53 PM

Thanks for the update
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +