Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WiFi: Local Access Only

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Hal06

Hal06

• Members
  • 927 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:33 AM

Hello. I have experienced difficulty with my WiFi twice over the past week or so. I have Apple Airport. It has worked well for several years now. However, twice in the last week it has encountered problems. For no apparent reason the network fails and I see a message on my Wifi icon that says "Local access only." To restore the network I have to restart twice and reboot the modem.

Is this just normal? In other words does one just have to reboot the network every so often or could there be another cause for this problem?

Thanks you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:23 PM

Can you list the make and model of your router, your modem and list what type of connection to the internet you use (dsl, cable, Dial-up etc)
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 supermaltese

supermaltese

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:15 AM

Have you recently had any new electronics installed in your house? If you got a new stereo, depending on its size, it should be more than 4 feet away from your modem or router. I just got a new ISP, a wireless kind, and the antenna they set up on top of my house has reduced the signal strength of my router by about 30%. So, think about what new equipment you may have installed in the last week, or what equipment you may have moved.

There is software you can use to monitor the signal of your router, and log it for examination.

Also, it may just be time for a new router/access point.

#4 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 927 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:15 PM

Thanks for the replies. It cleared up for a while, but has happened twice in the past few days. To solve the problem I have to restart the computer. It's annoying.

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:21 PM

I am assuming your Running OSX since you have an Airport router?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#6 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 927 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:24 PM

Someone suggested that I install and run Xirrus WiFi Inspector. I did but have no idea what all the info means - but it's cool looking! My network has a -47 signal and is on channel 3. There are a lot of channel 6s but apparently I'm the only one on channel 3. A couple of the other networks have -64 and -60 signals and appear to be open. Could they be the problem? Is my -47 signal good? Thanks.

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:28 PM

The only problem you will run into with the open networks is if your computer tries to connect to them instead of your own. Check event Viewer for an Error pointing to Master Browser Rights.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users