Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gaming Router

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Neil B.

Neil B.

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:42 PM

Ive recently moved into a different apartment and signed up with the local DSL service thats in the area.
The ISP that I have provides there own modem/router "two-wire" device, and its a cheap piece of garbage.

So... Im in the market, now, for a decent router.
I want one for the soul purpose of online gaming with an Xbox360.
My current router makes most of my games (MW3, BF3, Halo) somewhat lag during online play. I say "somewhat" because there is no noticeable lag, however, there is always a small delay in my actions. For example: in MW3, if I come face to face with an opponent and we see each other at the same time, and we both start shooting each other at the same time... my enemy will always win, because technically he sees me first because of a few miliseconds worth of lag.

I apologize for my sloppy explanations but Im in a rush and want to get this posted.
I guess what I need is suggestions on a decent gaming router for around 100$.

Thanks,
Neil

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Neil B.

Neil B.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:44 PM

Ive done some research of my own, but I want to get some other suggestions from people who may own good routers.

Im currently looking at this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320062

#3 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:10 PM

I would try other reviews site http://www.squidoo.com/gaming-routers . TPlink, Dlink, Netgear are the best choice when it comes to routers and of course wired connection in gaming is preferred over wireless.

Tekken

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:19 PM

Can you please go to Speedtest.net and post your results. Also list what bandwidth package you chose (10Mbps, 20Mbps etc)
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 Neil B.

Neil B.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:55 PM

Sorry for the late reply...

80ms ping and 5-6Mbps is the average for my tests.

I have a 6Mbps connection through my ISP.

#6 Neil B.

Neil B.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:08 AM

?

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:14 AM

Hi -
Just a quick reply based on my current ISP speeds done with a variety of Modems (Direct Wired)
My Wireless Windows7 is still having around the same speeds as below -

Currently I record 46ms ping and about 13.5Mbps download, which I consider only average, not good.
I updated from a lower plan, and the new one allows me to watch more movies etc. and the router is similar to the one you listed (but Free from my ISP) -

I would think that your best idea is to talk to your ISP about another plan with slightly faster downloads -

Just my ideas -

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:15 PM

i apologise for the late reply, its very busy at work, i agree with noknojon,and jhazym reportedly you getting near full bandwidth to the router. It appears the bottle neck is in your network. you can use lan speed test to find the week link..Also make note that if a 802.11g device connects to a 8011 N wirreless network, the bandwidth will drop to the lower speed.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#9 Neil B.

Neil B.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:59 PM

Thanks for the replies guys.

Over the last two days my connection has dropped from 6Mbps to 1-2Mbps.
Is this an error on the ISP side of things, or an issue with my router?

The network devices I have is a Cradlepoint MBR-1000 router and a Speedstream DSL modem. I have the modem plugged driectly into the phone jack with a phone cable and of course an ethernet cable going from it to the router... the modem is bridged as well.

Also, the highest bandwidth my ISP provides where I live is 6Mbps...
Im beginning to think I need to give my ISP a call. What do you guys think?

#10 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:39 AM

If your dsl is on the same line as your phones then make sure you have filters in all of the phone lines that are in use. This will prevent interference in both services. Remember with dsl max speed falls off the further you get from the central office. Call your isp they can test the line and tell you what the max speed you can attain is. Also try hooking a device directly to the modem and then run speedtest to see if the results differ. If so then your router is slowing down the connection as well.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#11 Neil B.

Neil B.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:23 PM

My internet speed is back to normal now. ISP must have been having issues.

Thanks though :)

Im pretty sure my phone line and DSL lines are separate, however, I am using a DSL filter anyway.

#12 Neil B.

Neil B.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:52 PM

One last question.

With a 6Mbps connection, I shouldnt be experiencing lag, correct?

Also, today I noticed that my ping was 126-180 and my download speeds were a constant 5Mbps - 6.
Why would my ping be fluctuating so much?

#13 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:02 PM

Your ping from the game is basically how many milliseconds it takes for your information to get to the server and vise versa. This will fluctuate depending on the loads placed on the various routers,switches, ect between you and the game server. I play World of Tanks and most of the time I do pretty well....pings in the 25-42 range...but sometimes it goes off the charts for an instant, a match, or all night.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#14 Drift_91

Drift_91

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:03 PM

Your DSL and analog phone service definitely use the same phoneline unless you pay for an extra dryloop. Your speed will not effect your lag at all unless your game is using more speed than you have. A 5Mbps connection will definitely be good enough for almost every game. Your new ISP probably gives you more latency than what you're used to. Latency (ping) is completely inevitable. The electrical signals that are your internet connection can only travel at the speed of light. Every time your connection goes through an ISP's router or switch, you get even more delay in the signal transmission. When you tested with speedtest.net it showed 80ms. That's already pretty laggy. I'm on a DSL connection of about the same speed and I get a ping of about 13ms. Your router and modem shouldn't cause anymore than 1ms of extra latency unless they're broken, no matter how cheap they are. I think you basically need a better ISP. Also, the 80ms ping is to the nearest test server. Speedtest.net has servers in almost every major city and most likely has one near you. The game however most likely only has 1 or 2 servers in the U.S. and maybe one in Europe and Asia. So the servers are going to be further away from you and you're going to get a lot more lag.
"There are about 60,000 viruses known for Windows, 40 or so for the Macintosh, about 5 for commercial Unix versions, and perhaps 40 for Linux." - This Article

"In March, 2010, VirusTotal.com, a service that analyzes suspicious files, identified more than 70,000 infected files that went undetected by one or more anti-virus engines—a more than 30% increase from last year. The sheer number of new, undetected files highlights the major threat facing Internet users today: non-detection by traditional PC security software." - This Article

The International Malware Epidemic, coming soon to a PC near you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users