Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Samsung HDD Password

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 589661

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:21 PM

Came across a computer from a customer which has been out of service for a while and they have forgotten the password. Does any one know of a tool to reset the HDD password. I often use Active@ for windows passwords but havent yet found a tool for this situation.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:28 PM

Is this a BIOS password?
If I am helping you and I haven't replied to your thread in 3 days, please PM me or bump it

Mike D, BS, A+, HPSP, MCTS
I <3 Linux
The Airline Open source airline simulation game
Check the power cable to the wall first!

#3 589661

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:21 AM

No i just get to a screen that is blue in the background and says HDD Password and then there is a spot to type it in. I read online that there are serviced to have this reset and such and i looked all over for software to do it but no luck.

Scott M.

#4 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:19 AM

Hi Scott

Be wary of anyone that brings you a drive like that and asks you to unlock it. My experience is that they are usually private investigators or people involved in court cases trying to subvert 'due process'.

I used to do work for PI's back in the 1990's and the jobs always started as...
"Yeah, that makes sense, I hope I can help."
and always ended with...
"It was all lies, I feel so dirty."

So, yeah, I'm a little bitter :)

James

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:58 PM

When I see a HDD password I just tell the owner that they need a new hard drive.

I work on the assumption that if the drive was pass-worded there is a reason and I have no desire to get dragged into any possible legal proceedings.

As James said it could be something like a PI or it could be a stolen computer. Why take a chance?

For example why do you think the laptop makers will not clear a BIOS password without proof that you are the owner?

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 589661

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2012 - 02:38 PM

Very good point. I think I'll just let him know i am unable to do it so i don't have to explain legal risks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users