Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

lost my user folder

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 the wyrm

the wyrm

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:39 PM

Okay, Sunday while I was wandering the web my AVG warned me of PDF.exploit I told it to protect me and I thought I was good. However, since I have shut it down and booted it up after work I am in a new desktop. It seems to think I am a new user. my documents are gone and pictures music ETC.
It is not really gone the laptop will not boot into my previous desktop. My files are there in the users folder under my name. I would like to know how to make Vista load this user and get rid of the temp user. I am unsure as to what was changed to make it do this so I am going slow so I do not mess any files up. Please advise. I am pretty computer savy I just don't know where to look for the pointer for my old desktop and associated files. I am working on a backup if I have to restore it. AVG says I am clean. Malwarebytes said I am clean. Spybot found a found four spywares. I think I might be safe on that front. Let me know what you think and need. I will go and get HJT and post it if you need it.
Thank You,
The Wyrm

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:08 PM

Try a system restore

or

Migrate your corrupted profile

http://windows.microsoft.com/is-IS/windows-vista/fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

#3 the wyrm

the wyrm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:36 PM

Well, I fixed my problem. I really thank you for the advice it might come in handy if I see this in any PC I might be working on. I have never seen this issue before. As I said AVG said it caught it and asked it I wanted to fix/remove it. I am not really sure if that was what did it, but I have to blame something. I also run a pro version of advanced system care, it had a restore to 10-20-12 so I took it and my issue was fixed. I am sure a newbie would have been very put out. I looked at my drive size and knew the files were there somewhere. After looking around I found them I was just at a loss as to how to get them back to the proper place. I was indeed preparing for a windows restore, I happened to run across the restore feature in ASC and was totally happy. I have saved this page and if anyone has other suggestions please post them, knowledge is power. Thank you for you quick and generous aid!

#4 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:54 PM

You're welcome :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users