Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

White Laptop Screen

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 idontknow1996

idontknow1996

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:14 PM

For a few months now, I've been having a problem where my laptop screen randomly goes white. I tried the normal methods, starting with reconnecting the cable that connects to the LCD screen, plugged it into a new screen, and plugged it into an external monitor, and none of them did the trick.

Recently, while the screen was working, I was playing a game and the screen went white, so I hit the windows key and after a few seconds, the screen went back to normal. At first I thought it just randomly worked out that way, but when I repeated the process again and again, it always worked.

The laptop is a Pavilion g4-1016dx and I am using Windows 7.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cee134

cee134

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:57 PM

Does it go blank with squeegee lines across? Do you notice that itís getting warm and usually happening while youíre playing games?

Your CPU might be the problem and may be overheating. Despite their claims, most laptops are not equipped to play games and if youíre a big game player, you may want to consider a PC rather than a laptop.

One temporary solution Ö put something under my laptop to raise it above the surface of the table it is sitting on and it might not happen any more. You can also buy bases with fans to prevent the overheating if it is an overheating issue.

However,

If you suspect that there is a hardware or software problem with the display there are some simple adjustments to improve the appearance of the built-in display on your notebook. To correct problems with the display the first action you should take is to install - or reinstall - the latest version of the BIOS and graphics drivers. If installing the latest BIOS and drivers does not correct the display, use this document to troubleshoot and identify specific hardware failures that may require professional repairs or part replacement at an authorized HP service center.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01881110&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=5111815

#3 idontknow1996

idontknow1996
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:51 PM

Does it go blank with squeegee lines across? Do you notice that itís getting warm and usually happening while youíre playing games?

Your CPU might be the problem and may be overheating. Despite their claims, most laptops are not equipped to play games and if youíre a big game player, you may want to consider a PC rather than a laptop.

One temporary solution Ö put something under my laptop to raise it above the surface of the table it is sitting on and it might not happen any more. You can also buy bases with fans to prevent the overheating if it is an overheating issue.

However,

If you suspect that there is a hardware or software problem with the display there are some simple adjustments to improve the appearance of the built-in display on your notebook. To correct problems with the display the first action you should take is to install - or reinstall - the latest version of the BIOS and graphics drivers. If installing the latest BIOS and drivers does not correct the display, use this document to troubleshoot and identify specific hardware failures that may require professional repairs or part replacement at an authorized HP service center.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01881110&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=5111815

For starters, sorry for taking so long to respond.

I don't believe that the scree problem is because my laptop isn't equip to handle games, as I used to play World of Warcraft on it. One thing I did leave out, though, was that before the incident ever occurred, I had sent my laptop into HP because my fan stopped working. I am not sure if that could be the problem, but when I received my laptop I called Hp and found out that my warranty would be up soon, and that they wanted my to pay somewhere near $500 for one-year extension.

Thank you for all your help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users