Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 won't start up constantly left with startup repair or start windows normally options.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 thdud

thdud

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:04 PM

Hi, I have an HP Pavilion p6-2060a installed with Windows 7. (no disc came with the computer)

The night before, I was impatient and forced shutdown and went to sleep. The next day, I booted the computer to find a message at the beginning about
running a disc check. I skipped it and proceeded with the normal booting.

The desktop had changed to a default format and the bubble at the right hand corner
stated that I was in a temporary login.
I Googled how to return to my usual desktop and majority of the advice was to restart or log off (I only have one user)

So after logging off/restarting the computer a few times my original desktop and files returned.

The next morning when I booted my computer, the "disc check on startup" message appeared again but I was too late to skip it and it started the checkup.
I needed my computer so I forced shutdown and restarted the computer, and I was again logged in to the temporary profile.

I came back home around 6 after uni and booted the computer and ran the disc checkup. The computer restarted afterwards and then gave me the options;
startup repair or start windows normally.

I selected start normally, but it returned to the HP screen then gave me the two options again.
I've tried to do startup repair but it just stops at the blue background with the mouse only moveable.

None of the advanced options seem to work either, such as safe mode, etc.
I've tried starting the HP recovery system but that doesn't work too.

In short.
Stupid design student was not thinking, forced shutdown, lead to temporary login, disc check on startup and now an infinite loop of start windows and startup repairs that don't work.

The HP pavilion came installed with Windows 7 so I have no idea how to boot from a disc or usb...

Please help! I have five projects due before end of semester which is in two weeks.

(p.s. I really really do not know much about computers, please keep instructions as precise and simple as possible, thank you.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:58 PM

The next day, I booted the computer to find a message at the beginning about running a disc check. I skipped it and proceeded with the normal booting.

Hello and Welcome -
Have you ever let the diskcheck run the full range ?? It runs 5 stages, takes about 1 hour, and will not harm your system.
If you wish to run the check, it may cancel the restart problems - Please follow these directions >>
Start your computer in Normal Mode -
Run a Disk Check on your C: drive in Windows :
•Click Start and open Computer
Right-click on C: (or your Hard drive letter) and select Properties
•Click on the Tools tab
•Under Error-checking click the Check Now... button
•Mark the 2 boxes next to Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors
•Click on the Start button
•When the message box pops up, click the Schedule disk check button and >> Restart your computer
•Once your computer restarts it will check the drive, don't press any keys so that it is allowed to do so
Allow about 1 hour (on average) for the check to complete and it will Reboot itself back to Normal Mode -

Next -
Go - Start > Programs > Accessories > Find Command Prompt > Right click and select Run as Administrator > Then type sfc /scannow > Press Enter - Note the space between c and / > Allow about 15 to 20 minutes (on average) -
This will Check System Files against original installation -

Try these 2 simple procedures first to rule out any basic problems - They will not remove or alter any data that you have completed -

Thank You -
Edit for Spelling -

Edited by noknojon, 23 October 2012 - 06:01 PM.

#3 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:50 PM

Hello thdud,

I agree with noknojon that running both a chkdsk /R and the System File Checker would be benefitial, if you can get them to run.

It seems that you are in a start-up loop and can neither boot into normal Windows nor safe mode. You stated that "none of the advanced options seem to work either, such as safe mode, etc."
  • Have you tried Last Known Good Configuration? If not, please try that option first.

Below are instructions to run check disk and System File Checker via the Recovery Environment, provided that you can get to it:

• Please power on the computer and start tapping the F8 key to bring up the Advanced Boot Options Menu.
  • Select Repair Your Computer and press <Enter>.
  • Select keyboard/language, then press Next.
  • Select your User account and enter your password, if any.
  • Click OK and you should see the System Recovery Options Menu.
  • Please note that under Choose a recovery tool it will show the drive letter of your operating system.
  • Posted Image
  • Your operating system drive may NOT be C:. If it is NOT, then substitute the correct letter in the commands that follow.
  • Click on Command Prompt.
  • Next, type: chkdsk C: /R then press <Enter>.
    • (Note the space after chkdsk and after the value for C: )
    • If your Operating system drive isn't C:, please make that change.
  • Check Disk will progress through 5 stages, could take several hours to complete, and may at times appear to freeze. Check Disk should NOT be interrupted.
  • When finished, a summary will be presented.
    • If errors were found and corrected, please run the chkdsk C: /R command once more.
    • If no errors are reported, continue below.
  • Next, at the X:\Windows\System32> type: sfc /scannow /offbootdir=C:\ /offwindir=C:\windows and press <Enter>.
    • Please note the space after sfc, after /scannow, and after /offbootdir=C:\.
    • Substitute your system drive letter for the C: value.
    • If SFC doesn't find any "integrity violations," you can exit.
    • If SFC reports that it found and corrected "integrity violations," run it once more.
    • Type: exit to leave the DOS box
  • Restart the computer and attempt to boot into normal windows.

Regards,
Brooks

#4 sadu

sadu

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:54 AM

where can i get a fixlist.txt for the same issue for my issue?.i guess different pcs have different fixlist??right

#5 Chicovaldez

Chicovaldez

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 03 October 2014 - 09:02 AM

I registered at this site just so I could reply to this thread and confirm this method worked for me so that others can give it a go with some degree of confidence.

The above solution by Artrooks worked perfectly for me on a windows 7 premium sp1 system. I had tried everything and was at the end of my rope.

But just a heads up....... This process took a very long time. You have to wait for the computer to do its thing. Each step for me took 4-6 hours to complete (or rather took the computer that long to process). Just wanted to let people know that you have to be patient. It will seem like nothing is happening but just be patient. Follow Artrooks instructions to the letter and it will work. I would enter a command then go about my day and come back, or let it run overnight. Don't be in a hurry. Be patient. It will work.

Thank you Artrook for saving my computer and my sanity! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users