Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen on brand new computer

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MarkSim

MarkSim

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:55 PM

I just got a new HP Pavilion HPE 1234 about a week ago, and today got a blue-screen error while I was surfing the web.

This is what the dump file contained:

==================================================
Dump File : 102312-39047-01.dmp
Crash Time : 10/23/2012 2:15:30 PM
Bug Check String : KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Bug Check Code : 0x0000001e
Parameter 1 : ffffffff`c0000005
Parameter 2 : fffff800`02c93284
Parameter 3 : 00000000`00000000
Parameter 4 : ffffffff`ffffffff
Caused By Driver : termdd.sys
Caused By Address : termdd.sys+4d4bcc0
File Description :
Product Name :
Company :
File Version :
Processor : x64
Crash Address : ntoskrnl.exe+7efc0
Stack Address 1 :
Stack Address 2 :
Stack Address 3 :
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\102312-39047-01.dmp
Processors Count : 6
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 7601
Dump File Size : 289,122
==================================================

I'm not sure what other information is needed -- I'm running 64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium with Service Pack 1.

TIA!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kairyn

Kairyn

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 23 October 2012 - 02:06 PM

Hi Mark,

These are just a few quick questions that will help other people with diagnosing your problem. (IE: People more talented than I)

Have you recently installed any Windows Updates to your computer that either failed or were unsuccessful?

Have you recently installed any drivers on your computer?

Did your machine come pre-installed for you, or did you format and install Windows 7 yourself?

Please include the model of your video-card as well as the version of your current drivers.

To find this information select the start orb (The blue orb in the corner of your taskbar), and type "dxdiag" (Without quotations.) into the search area near the bottom.

A dialogue box may appear and prompt you if you wish to check if your drivers are digitally signed (Either option won't hurt your computer any).

Once the DirectX Diagnostic tool has loaded, please select the 'display' tab.

On the left hand side you will see the name of your video-card, and on the right you should see the version number of your drivers.

Please include this information in your next post, thanks!

Kairyn

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,673 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2012 - 02:07 PM

If you just got the one bsod and it doesn't repeat I wouldn't worry about it.

#4 MarkSim

MarkSim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2012 - 02:46 PM

I've got updates on automatic, but in the update log, I see this three failed updates:

Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition 1.139.124.0)
Installation date: ‎10/‎19/‎2012 11:00 PM
Installation status: Failed
Error details: Code 80070670
Update type: Important

Install this update to revise the definition files used to detect spyware and other potentially unwanted software. Once you have installed this item, it cannot be removed.

----
Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 for x64-based Systems (KB954430)
Installation date: ‎10/‎16/‎2012 3:16 AM
Error details: Code 643

A security issue has been identified in Microsoft XML Core Services (MSXML) that could allow an attacker to compromise your Windows-based system and gain control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Once you have installed this item, it cannot be removed.

----
Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 for x64-based Systems (KB973688)
Installation date: ‎10/‎16/‎2012 3:17 AM
Error details: Code 643

Install this update to prevent applications from sending too many HTTP requests while a well-known Document Type Definition (DTD) is included. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Once you have installed this item, it cannot be removed.
----

Win 7 came on this computer. I wouldn't begin to know how to install it myself...

As for drivers, I don't know? I've installed a few programs (Adobe Photoshop CS6 trial, Quicken 2012, Avast antivirus, Calibre ebook manager, Quicktime, Adobe Reader, and Adobe AIR), but I'm not sure if that's what you're asking about.

Video card:
AMD Radeo HD 7450 driver aticfx64.dll version 8.941.3.0

The main reason I'm concerned about a one-time error is I'm still within the timeframe to return the computer if it's a hardware issue, and I want to make sure this isn't something that's going to repeat itself soon. My laptop recently died and I'm a bit traumatized by blue screens at the moment.

Thanks!

#5 Kairyn

Kairyn

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:43 PM

Hi Mark,

As Allan said if it's just the one it's really nothing to worry about, however if the issue crops up again you can try and update your video drivers. If it doesn't you should completely disregard this post and simply continue to use your computer as-is. A BSOD can crop up for a variety of reasons and there's not much of a reason to try and fix something that isn't really broken. :)

Here's instructions on updating your driver should the problem plague you any further.

Visit the AMD website and head to their drivers section.
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

Select the type of system you have (Desktop refers to a tower, notebook refers to a laptop).

Select the product family (Yours is the Radeon HD Series).

Select your product (Yours falls under the Radeon HD 7xxx category).

Select your OS (Yours is Windows 64-bit).

Download and install the drivers.

If you feel uncomfortable with this process you can always resort to the auto-detect tool from AMD located here.
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/auto_detect.aspx

Once the download finishes, double-click the file and choose the "Express" option for installation.

A driver refers to a program that allows your computer to interact with your hardware in various ways. (Basically it tells your computer how to use your hardware.)

Reboot your computer after installation, and your drivers will be up-to-date.

If that doesn't resolve the issue, your video card may be overheating. Ensure that it has adequate ventilation.

Best of luck,

Kairyn

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,673 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:57 PM

The error has nothing to do with the video driver or video card.. As I said, if it doesn't repeat let's not worry about it.

Edited by Allan, 23 October 2012 - 03:57 PM.

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:21 PM

Hi -
As above - I agree with Allan if the problem only shows once - Just settling into its normal routine -

http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate << M/soft update site to check for Express (Required Updates Only) ignore Custom Updates

Set updates to Download, but for You to select when to install them, and only do them one at a time - Normal problem for a new computer -

If ever you are presented with updates only try to install 1 at a time, do not select to install all updates -

Good Luck -

#8 MarkSim

MarkSim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:22 AM

Thank you all so much - I really appreciate it!

:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users