Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

anonymity

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 flavius

flavius

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:16 AM

hi, is anonymity has advertised by companies, browsing and withholding your ip address or merely a tool for removing your browsing history immediately after the event and if they do withhold the ip address how do they do it and is it secure, many thanks ray
optomist: balding men have less hair to comb!
pessamist: yes but they have more face to wash

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,305 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:13 PM

With your generic use of the word anonymity in regards to a product, searching for additional information to review is nearly impossible. By chance do you have a link to the specific product you have in mind and are asking about?

I'm taking a guess it might be: ultimate-anonymity.com

But I don't want to presume thats it, since there are about 6 more related with the term anonymity in my initial unrefined search.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 flavius

flavius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:17 PM

thanks animal for the quick reply, the two that I saw were anonymizer universal from anonymizer.com and cyberscrub from cyberscrub.com, I have since looked at your suggestion ultimate anonymity and they say that they mask the ip address whilst on line, so is it safe, is it really needed and is it worth podding out for. I would like to hear your views on internet secrecy, many thanks ray

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,305 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:23 PM

Not exactly sure what the need is for hiding your IP. Nor do I have a need to know. It is not relevant to this topic.

But I would would rather use a free proxy service or TOR instead.

Think of it this way. Your IP is like your home address. You order a pizza, but put a bogus address on your house. How will it get delivered? You'll have to tell a third party what your real location is, to have them deliver that pizza. Someone, somewhere has to know your real IP for the Internet to even work for you. Otherwise any page request will go unresponded to. Because it doesn't know what address to send the data to. Proxy services and TOR would act as the third party I mentioned earlier.

It is virtually impossible to be 100% anonymous on the web legally. Somebody somewhere has to know your IP to send you the information you request.

So the issue boils down to, who do you trust for a third party to know what your real IP is.

Who I trust and who you trust may be two entirely different things. I don't care who has my IP. It doesn't identify me personally. It gives a general geographic location and my ISP. Half to 2/3rds of the town I live in use the same ISP. I'm a needle hiding in a haystack. My ISP knows my home address and even my phone number and credit card information. I'm more concerned about them and how they handle my personal data than someone having my IP.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#5 flavius

flavius
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:58 AM

animal, many thanks again for your quick response,it has cleared any doubts as to the function and need of such services and has I now fully understand the ip address function and that of my internet provider I can say that I will not be going down the privacy road,I hope that any one else who needs help on the same subject finds your explanation has clear and precise as I have,again many thanks ray

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,305 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2012 - 02:24 PM

You're quite welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users