Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP notebook restart instead of shutdown

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Bill Pierce

Bill Pierce

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:02 AM

My wife's daughter has an HP Pavilion dm4-2070 notebook with Windows 7 Professional. It had been working properly, but for the past week it will not shut down when you select Shut down from the Start menu; instead it restarts. It also won't hibernate properly; after about 10 seconds it resumes. It does seem to sleep properly, for example, when you close the cover. And it will shut down if you press and hold the power button for 10 seconds.

I see a lot of posts on other forums with similar problems, but few solutions that seem to work. I have tried many of the suggestions (checking the shutdown and power settings, ensuring the network adapters can't wake up the computer, running SFC, updating the BIOS to the latest version), all to no avail.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Firefoxthebomb

Firefoxthebomb

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:24 AM

Just a thought..... What happens if you go to the Orb and in the Search Programs and files you type in C:\WINDOWS\system32\shutdown.exe -s -t 01

Does it shut down or does it restart?

firefoxsig-resized.jpg.b57936275b99d45f7

Dell Precision T7810, Win10 64bit fully updated, Symantec Endpoint Protection,
Watchguard Firewall, Intel Xeon E5-2620v4 CPUs, Dual 8 Core Processors, 32GB Ram,
E5-2620v4 @ 2.10GHz X 2, AMD FirePro W4100 with 4 Screens, 500GB SSD Boot Drive,
Raid-1 Dual 2TB Sata 10000 rpm Hard Drives, DVD Burner, IE11, Opera, MBAM, MBSB, MBAE

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,689 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:56 AM

Try this:

Disconnect all external devices.

Remove the power adapter and battery.

Press and hold the power button for 30 seconds.

Re-plug the power adapter, do not plug battery in yet.

Turn on the computer.

After it boots up restart the computer and reinstall the battery.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Bill Pierce

Bill Pierce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:39 PM

Firefox, when I type C:\WINDOWS\system32\shutdown.exe -s -t 01 in the Orb, it restarts rather than shuts down.

Dc3, I tried your suggestions (removing the AC adapter and battery, holding down the power button for 30 seconds, powering it up with the AC adapter only, then shutting down, installing the battery and restarting), and these steps didn't change anything. It still restarts instead of shutting down.

#5 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:59 PM

Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your Desktop and run it.
  • Checkmark the following checkboxes:
    • List last 10 Event Viewer log
    • List Installed Programs
    • List Devices
    • List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
    • List Minidump Files
  • Click Go.
    When the scan is finished, a text file will open in a Notepad window.
  • Copy the entire contents of the Notepad window, and paste in your reply.
    (Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.)

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#6 Bill Pierce

Bill Pierce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:45 PM

Thanks. Rather than filling the screen with RESULT.TXT, I have attached it. Let's see if it provides you with relevant information.

Attached Files

#7 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:31 PM

Well, that turned out to be uneventful! Let's gather some more info ...

:exclame: Firstly, create a new folder on your Desktop, and name it EventLogs.

:step1: msinfo32
  • Go to Start and type msinfo32 and in the list showing above, right-click on msinfo32.exe > Run as Administrator.
    A System Information window will open.
  • Go to File > Save.
  • Choose to save the file in the EventLogs folder on your Desktop, enter a File name, msinfo32 and click Save.
    The file will be saved as msinfo32.nfo
    Please be patient if this takes some time.

:step2: Event logs
  • Go to Start and type eventvwr and in the list showing above, right-click on eventvwr.exe > Run as Administrator.
    An Event Viewer window will open.
  • In the left-side window-pane expand Windows Logs.
  • Click on Application to select it:
    • On the top menu, click on Action > Save as
    • Choose to save the file in the EventLogs folder on your Desktop, enter a File name, Application and click Save.
    • If you see a Display Information screen, choose Display ..., select English (US) > OK.
      The file will be saved as Application.evtx
  • Repeat for System, as you have just done for Application, giving the saved file the name System.

:step3: At your Desktop, zip up the EventLogs folder
  • Right-click on the folder > Send to ... > Compressed (zipped) Folder.
  • Attach the zip file to your next post in this thread.
    When you click on Add Reply, you will see the facility to attach a file just below the box where you type your message.
:exclame: Note: The BC forums will allow a total attachment size of only 512 kb and what you need to attach may exceed this limit. In that case, please upload the zip file to a file sharing website of your choice and and post a link to it in this thread so that we can access your uploaded zip file.

See the suggestions in the following links for recommendations on file sharing websites:
  • http://lifehacker.com/388284/best-online-file-sharing-services
  • http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/15-great-free-online-file-sharing-alternatives/
  • http://www.smashingapps.com/2008/08/28/5-best-free-file-hosting-services-to-store-your-files.html

I can recommend Posted Image: Also suitable is Posted Image

:step4: Please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy, and post a link to it in this thread.

This is a convenient and accurate way of providing us with details of your computer specifications.
:step5: To check your system's "Recoveros" (Recovery) and Page File settings via Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI), please download and then run the following:

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#8 Bill Pierce

Bill Pierce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2012 - 04:53 PM

I had to get the computer from my wife's daughter, who uses it in school every day.

Anyway, the link to the EventLogs.zip folder is here: http://home.cogeco.ca/~billpierce/eventlogs.zip

The link to the Speccy snapshot is here: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/lyDGUIXJKUP0oYGmpZj65wv

And below are the pasted results of the "Recoveros" and Page File settings:

AutoReboot=TRUE
Caption=
DebugFilePath=%SystemRoot%\MEMORY.DMP
DebugInfoType=2
Description=
ExpandedDebugFilePath=C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP
ExpandedMiniDumpDirectory=C:\Windows\Minidump
KernelDumpOnly=FALSE
MiniDumpDirectory=%SystemRoot%\Minidump
Name=Microsoft Windows 7 Professional |C:\Windows|\Device\Harddisk0\Partition2
OverwriteExistingDebugFile=TRUE
SendAdminAlert=FALSE
SettingID=
WriteDebugInfo=TRUE
WriteToSystemLog=TRUE

AllocatedBaseSize=2765
Caption=C:\pagefile.sys
CurrentUsage=33
Description=C:\pagefile.sys
InstallDate=20120919114445.858418-240
Name=C:\pagefile.sys
PeakUsage=39
Status=
TempPageFile=FALSE

I hope this helps.

And thank you for your efforts.

#9 Bill Pierce

Bill Pierce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:41 AM

Does the information I supplied shed any light on the problem?

#10 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:58 AM

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you after looking at your uploaded info the first time. I looked at it a second time and still could not see any sign of a problem.

Please check closely to know for sure that the system is not crashing and restarting on shut-down. It may be difficult to notice, so disabling "automatic restart" might help.

Please disable "automatic restart on system failure":

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#11 Bill Pierce

Bill Pierce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:26 PM

All right, I turned off Automatic Restart on System Failure, and shut down the computer (twice in fact). It still restarts rather than shuts down; there is no BSOD. I'll leave the auto restart setting the same for now, just in case there is a change in behaviour.

As tightly intertwined as the operating system and the hardware are, I realize it's sometimes very difficult to tell if an error is rooted in hardware or software. Still, I'm wondering if there is any kind of diagnostic that would help determine if there is a hardware component failure of some kind that would be the source of this problem, something that is falsely signalling the operating system that a restart has been requested rather than a shutdown.

#12 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:53 AM

I had a chance last night to go through the Event logs again ... and the following idea came to me.

If there is more than one user account on the Windows system, does the same issue exist for all user accounts?

Try creating a new user account and test whether or not shutting the system down when in that new user account exhibits the same shutdown/restart issue.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#13 Bill Pierce

Bill Pierce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:53 PM

Well, I tried adding a new user, and it still wouldn't shut down, only restart. The more the problem continues the stronger is my resolve to get to the bottom of it, whether on the 39th try or the 1319th.

#14 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:19 AM

I apologise for the delay in getting back to you. I have been without internet connection since the phone/broadband line was cut by machinery working less than 200 yards up the street.

I am currently trying to catch up on topics and will reply to you as soon as possible.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#15 Bill Pierce

Bill Pierce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:38 AM

Do you have any more thoughts about this problem? HP suggests that I reformat the drive and reinstall Windows 7. I consider that unacceptable. For one thing, it's an OEM version and I have no DVD. Secondly, there are dozens of applications that would have to be reinstalled and configured. And lastly, I am categorically opposed to using a sledgehammer when a scalpel is the appropriate tool. I had a Windows 98 computer I used for 12 years without ever having to reinstall the operating system. The technology should have long ago advanced so as to relegate that option to the distant past.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users