Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows seems to have lost all file associations

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Village Baka

Village Baka

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:50 AM

So I was on my desktop, using it as I usually do (internet, IMs, etc.) and out of absolutely nowhere, my desktop shortcuts stopped working. I figured Windows was just wigging out a bit, so I restarted. Now it LOOKS to me as if every file on my computer has lost file associations, and doesn't know what program to use to open the file. This isn't too much of a problem since I can just redo them myself, but there's a major issue here in that this has also affected .lnk and .exe files. So basically, I can't run any programs at all. Shortcuts on my desktop, start menu, quick launch bar, or in Windows Explorer all ask me what program I want to use to open them when I click them. Bizarrely enough, this is also affecting .exe files. If I click an executable in Explorer or try and run it from the Run... tool it asks me what program I want to open .exe files with, and rightclicking only provides "Open..." on the context menu as if .exe files are some unknown file type. It's downright weird.

Does anyone know what the heck is going on with this?

EDIT: My apologies, forgot to add that this is on Windows XP Professional. Also it seems, for whatever reason, that image files (.jpeg, .gif, .png, pretty much everything) doesn't seem to be affected by this.

Edited by Village Baka, 23 October 2012 - 04:56 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:57 AM

Lets try this

Download or copy both the files to the desktop

LNK FIX
EXE FIX

Extract both and launch them ,click YES

Restart the PC and let me know if you can launch applications now.

#3 Village Baka

Village Baka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:41 PM

Looks like that did the trick. Though again, it asked me what program I wanted to use for .reg files and I had to manually specify regedit. Hilarious.

Thanks a ton for the help, I had no idea what to do about that. But what could have caused it? Based on the fix I'm assuming something in the registry blew up and killed all my file associations, but was it a virus, random glitch, etc...?

#4 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:09 PM

This is most likely caused by virus.

#5 Village Baka

Village Baka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:40 AM

Ah. Well then, time for another reformat and install. Thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users