Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! Laptop suddenly became slow; Programs 'Not Responding'

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 hookedforever

hookedforever

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:10 AM

I don't normally use my laptop's battery at home so it functions as a desktop. Whenever a blackout happens, I have to reboot. That happens every once in a while but, I haven't really noticed anything weird happening so, I'm not really sure if my laptop had enough this time. Last Saturday, there was a massive blackout in my area. I had to work so I was forced to go to a nearby mall to connect online. I had difficulty finding a decent connection so I tried a bunch of free (unsecured?) ones from different restaurants. Later that night, we had to check in at a nearby hotel. I thought I would be able to use the free WIFI but for some reason I really couldn't connect. I left my laptop on overnight hoping it'd be able to connect but, none of the hotel's 3 WIFI connections worked. I was still able to use my laptop throughout the evening and I didn't notice anything weird. However, the hotel experienced two short power interruptions as well. After the second one, my laptop suddenly acted weird. It took forever to boot and all the programs I tried to open took so long. I'd always see them "Not Responding". I haven't experienced this sluggishness before. Even web browsers won't open as fast as they used to. I'm using WIndows 7 Ultimate. I would really appreciate your help. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 iceremover

iceremover

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 23 October 2012 - 02:33 AM

maybe some systemfiles are corrupt after all those sudden blackouts ?

you could try to repair with the original windowd 7 DVD or
repair using dos commands like "chkdsk 'name of the HDD volume' /r" and "sfc /scannow"

after this you could install malwarebytes and/or superantispyware to scan for some infections

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users