Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DEFRAGING

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:51 PM

HI,I just downloaded AUSLOGICS defraging program and after it was done it started checking problems
which i did not initiate,anyhow it came up with 1705 problems some in junk files,some in registry.
My understanding is it is not good for NOVICE to even go into the registry,but the program said it
would do it for you,i have feeling if i pursued it for nominal fee they would clean my registry for
as i have in the past been dumb enough to believe them then the lessons start.
The junk files i can possible take care of but the other i think let sleeping dogs lie.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,971 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:58 AM

We indeed do not advise the use of registry cleaners, as their use can range from achieving nothing to causing severe problems.

I've not done a fresh installation of Auslogics Defrag for some time. Many free programs are now being bundled with other options that you have to "opt out" of during installation. Did you by any chance unwittingly agree to installation of another program as well?

Edit: Just downloaded & installed, I see what you're referring to (hope you declined Ask...). Looks like part of the free package is a promotion for the Registry Optimizer - I'd suggest this can safely be disregarded. My system which is working quite stably shows 522 supposed registry problems. Tests have demonstrated that registry optimizers find hundreds of these "errors" on brand new Windows installations - it's a normal part of Windows operation and causes no problems.

Edited by Platypus, 23 October 2012 - 01:14 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2012 - 02:51 AM

HI,I do not believe that checked anything but the defrager,sometimes its hard to tell what you are agreeing to because
they are pretty good at hiding stuff in the weeds,like i have a program called SUMATRA 1.x pdf have no idea where that came from.
Tried to GOOGLE it but did not get the answer that i wanted,it was really hard to decipher from what showed up on GOOGLE took
3 pages before i even got close to good web site,then it was still hard to figure out the legitimate site that's always been
one of the hardest things to do so you do not get connected to fraudulent site.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:02 AM

Hi LOVEMYPC -
If you Google SUMATRA pdf there is a program listed for it. The program lists 2006 as a start date -

I will try and find an Uninstaller / Remover for you if you wish -
Edited start date

Edited by noknojon, 23 October 2012 - 03:14 AM.

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,971 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:06 AM

I use Sumatra as my PDF reader, I like it for small size, can render a bit slow at times.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:27 PM

HI,If you guys feel Sumatra PDF 1.X it is a legitimate site then i will leave on my PC.
I revo-unistaller on my PC and i have used it to remove programs with it appears to work good,thanks

Edited by LOVEMYPC, 23 October 2012 - 03:28 PM.

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:47 PM

Sumatra PDF presents this open source viewer for Windows written by Krzysztof Kowalczyk.
Link to Wiki about Sumatra PDF

Sumatra PDF is a free PDF, eBook (ePub, Mobi), XPS, DjVu, CHM, Comic Book (CBZ and CBR) reader for Windows.

They do have a forum and the usual sites - Update is now Version 2 I think -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users