Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windwos Randomly Locking up?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jnk1296

jnk1296

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:11 PM

I've had this happen to me three times this afternoon.Just randomly, regardless of what my CPU, Memory, or Hard disk usage is, and regardless of how long the system has been running, it seems like at some point, every time the system hangs to a point where I can move the cursor and the numlock lights will still change when pressed, but that's it. Nothing else. I'll look down at my tower; no hard disk activity. All of my programs will show the hour glass cursor (in my case a spinning black and blue ball similar to the spinning beach ball in OSX (aside from the point.)

A look at the Event Log shows these events occuring, some occuring at different times, but all of them occuring with the same Error Code of (7011): A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the Schedule service.

That error has appeared shortly before each of the freezes it seems, and has occurred for these different services: NlaSvc, Ralink UPnP Media Server, CryptSvc, NIS, and Dnscache.

I tried reseating my SATA cables, and so far the system hasn't hung again, but I'm a bit worried that my hard disk might be failing at the same time.

Do you think I should be concerned about this?

EDIT: That didn't fix it. I'm still freezing. And i just noticed my god awful typo in the oost title. >_< I wish i could change that...

Edited by jnk1296, 22 October 2012 - 09:26 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Firefoxthebomb

Firefoxthebomb

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:48 PM

It could be a combination of hardware failure and possible overheating. You should run some test on the memory as well as the hard drive.

Testing the hard drive is relatively easy if you have access to another computer to burn the bootable CD. It is always best to use the hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic software, if possible . If you know the manufacturer of your hard drive, then refer to Bootable Hard Drive Diagnostics. Review the page, download the DOS version for your hard drive, burn it to create a bootable CD, and run both short and long tests.
If you don't know your hard drive manufacturer:

• Download the Seatools for DOS version by clicking the "Downloads" tab, selecting operating system, then "Download - accept license agreement. Burn the "SeaToolsDOS223ALL.Iso" image to a CD so it is bootable.
  • If you don't have software to burn an "Iso" file to CD or don't know how:
  • Download ImgBurn from here.
  • Install the software then start ImgBurn.
  • Select "Write Image file to disk" then under "Source" click on the "folder icon" Posted Image to the right and select the "iso" file location.
  • Click on this icon to "Start." Posted Image
[/list]
  • Restart your computer with the Diagnostic Disk. (For how to set CDROM drive to boot first, go here)
  • Run the Short test first and then the Long test.
  • If given the option to repair the drive, allow it but ONLY if you have backed up all important data on the drive.
  • Any reported errors in either test should make you suspect a failing hard drive.
Let us know the results.

Here is a list of some Free memory testers:

http://www.memtest.org/
http://www.memtest86.com/
http://www.hcidesign.com/

The last link is to a tester that runs in Windows. Because of questions about it's process, I don't recommend doing it. But, if by chance you do choose to try it, I'd suggest that you let it run until it hits 1,000% of the memory checked (there's more information about this on the website). I'm currently testing the different memory testers on my system and they seem about equal in ability to me (the tests aren't finished yet).

Edited by Firefoxthebomb, 24 October 2012 - 09:04 AM.

firefoxsig-resized.jpg.b57936275b99d45f7

Dell Precision T7810, Win10 64bit fully updated, Symantec Endpoint Protection,
Watchguard Firewall, Intel Xeon E5-2620v4 CPUs, Dual 8 Core Processors, 32GB Ram,
E5-2620v4 @ 2.10GHz X 2, AMD FirePro W4100 with 4 Screens, 500GB SSD Boot Drive,
Raid-1 Dual 2TB Sata 10000 rpm Hard Drives, DVD Burner, IE11, Opera, MBAM, MBSB, MBAE

#3 jnk1296

jnk1296
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:39 PM

I should (and most likely will) test the hard disk, but I'm almost certain now that it is a software issue. I have Ubuntu 12.04 dual-booted on this system, and it still runs flawlessly. I also clean booted windows today to see if that would help. Thus far, I've been running for about six hours now, much longer than when the OS would freeze.

I also should have mentioned that I ran MemTest last night, as my RAM was my first theory. It came up fine.

Still, thank you for the response. Luckily, my system is running fine atm and can more than easily burn that disc. (Also, clean booting brought my # of Processes down from 70 to 49. :D Always a plus.)

#4 Firefoxthebomb

Firefoxthebomb

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:05 AM

OK Good luck with that, and let us know how it goes.

firefoxsig-resized.jpg.b57936275b99d45f7

Dell Precision T7810, Win10 64bit fully updated, Symantec Endpoint Protection,
Watchguard Firewall, Intel Xeon E5-2620v4 CPUs, Dual 8 Core Processors, 32GB Ram,
E5-2620v4 @ 2.10GHz X 2, AMD FirePro W4100 with 4 Screens, 500GB SSD Boot Drive,
Raid-1 Dual 2TB Sata 10000 rpm Hard Drives, DVD Burner, IE11, Opera, MBAM, MBSB, MBAE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users