Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HELP! BSOD with XP repair from DVD???

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ajg617

ajg617

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:46 PM

Homebuilt MSI 6728 Mobo, 1TB western sata HD (1 year old), 2 GIG, XP Pro SP3, 1 year old power supply - voltages are well within tolerances, PNY GS 7600 video card

1) Ran Win 7 compatibility tool says good to go
2) Booted next day - missing MSVCR90.dll caused Bentley auto repair manual to crash
3) Re-booted and ran SFC /SCANNOW - BSOD with PFN_LIST_CORRUPT
4) System no longer passes WGA - it did before so I could download SDK and Security Essentials
4) System would not re-boot either in safe or normal or last good
5) Ran Recovery mode from HD - BSOD during chkdsk with error this time IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL
6) Ran Recovery from original XP SP2 DVD - BSOD during chkdisk IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL - chkdsk never gets past 50%
7) Ran Western Digital diagnostics - drive came up no errors
8) Ran Memtest86+ v 4.2 for 10 hours and 11 passes - no errors
9) Booted parted magic and copied drive image to 2nd Western 1TB drive (2 years old)
10) Installed Win 7 Pro upgrade
11) Upgrade succeeded but BSOD while windows update was installing updates - IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL
12) Ran chkdsk on Win 7 hard drive - many errors
13) Ran WD Diagnostics on both hard drives - no errors
14) Disconnected Win 7 drive and running chkdsk again from XP DVD - currently stuck on 50% yet again.

Trying to restore my XP system to archive my files to another computer as now the Win 7 drive, although seemingly running well, sounds a bit noisy. BTW, the Win 7 drive was a warranty replacement I had on hand. I've unplugged the power to the Win 7 drive as well as the SATA connector.

Any ideas?
Thanks,
AJG

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,731 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:55 AM

<<System no longer passes WGA - it did before so I could download SDK and Security Essentials>>

That's a licensing issue with Microsoft...you must settle that by direct interface with Microsoft representatives.

You mention two O/Ses...XP and Win 7. Which one is actually installed and fails WGA?

You are complicating your issues by trying to address two hard drives and two O/Ses at once. My suggestion is to deal with one hard drive and one O/S...before moving on in your efforts to do whatever it is that is the final goal.

Louis

#3 ajg617

ajg617
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:52 AM

Did that.
One hard drive with valid xp sp3 load
Running chkdsk off of original Microsoft DVD
BSOD IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,731 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:23 AM

If I'm interpreting correctly...that hard drive came from a different system. Is that correct?

<<Running chkdsk off of original Microsoft DVD>>

XP was not issued on DVDs, but on CDs. Vista and Win 7 are larger and were issued on DVDs.

<<Ran Recovery from original XP SP2 DVD - BSOD during chkdisk IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL - chkdsk never gets past 50%>>

If the system installed reflects SP3...then you cannot use a disk reflecting SP2...to repair an SP3 install. The best thing that you could do would be to uninstall SP3, then use the SP2 disk to attempt a repirs install. Or...create a new install CD by slipstreaming SP3 into the contents of the SP2 install disk.

Slipstreaming Windows XP To Create a Bootable Windows XP CD or DVD - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial154.html

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users