Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to cancel an unnecessary Windows update/installation?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Deep_Thought

Deep_Thought

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:43 PM

Hi. I was getting some help for a virus that was on my computer not long ago, and I was also having trouble updating Windows (XP, 32-bit) but was later able to solve this problem. However, it seems I accidentally selected some custom updates that I don't need and can't install. I was told that they're for Windows XP 64-bit, and the codes are KB2656370 and KB2656353, if that helps. I've looked around online, but I haven't yet found any useful information that would tell me how to prevent these from trying to install every time I turn on my computer. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:16 AM

All this is direct from Microsoft -
Notice: Article ID: KB2656370
Important In response to customer feedback that we received after the original release of this update on April 10, 2012, this update was revised and re-released on June 12, 2012. If you installed the original update, you should install this revised update.
This behavior is expected because hotfix 2712189 contains a more recent file version of the installed files and supersedes this re-release.
This hotfix is available for download from the Microsoft Download Center:
Download this hotfix package now.
(http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/D/B/FDB5D17A-D3D3-4799-9740-619C38669D5C/NDP1.1sp1-KB2712189-X86.exe)

The recent release of Microsoft Security Bulletin MS11-100 KB2656353 might fail on Windows XP/Windows 2003 systems.
The patch will fail with an error message: “Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 -- Internal Error 2705. Directory”
In fact, if you try to repair existing .Net Framework 1.1, you would receive the same error message: “Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 -- Internal Error 2705. Directory”
Resolution:
Just installing Microsoft .Net Framework 1.1 SP1 patch should resolve this issue. Please install Microsoft .Net Framework 1.1 SP1 http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=33 on the system and then install KB2656353.

#3 Deep_Thought

Deep_Thought
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:08 PM

Trying to install both of those, I got this same error.

The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows Installer service because the program to be upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade patch may update a different version of the program. Verify that the program to be upgraded exists on your computer and that you have the correct upgrade patch.

#4 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:20 PM

I did some searching and got various results for location of update downloads. The most promising seems to be your Program Files/Windows Update which is a system folder. You could take a look there. If you find anything, move it somewhere else and see if it cures the problem of persistent updates. If not, move them back. I would guess they start $NT since that is how the uninstalls are named in Windows root. You could always search for the KB string. This advice is my best guess, not based on known data.

Edit: Cancel the above. I did a quick update and looked at what was going on. The updates I had were initially downloading into folders like
C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\5412e29b2039fb86b2d94ac5becdceca
dumping a number of tmp files in the folder. There were also subfolders like
C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\5412e29b2039fb86b2d94ac5becdceca\8ffc64599603264e79a0caaaf51e3393942fae06
Those folders disappeared and I could not trace where the data went.
Repeated for each download.

The updates have IDs something like {45418357-0883-4EE3-98C6-CC93460D35B5}.101

When it actually installed, an exe was created thus for each update in turn, the previous being deleted.
C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\Install\NDP20SP2-KB2686828-x86.exe
Not much help to this thread unfortunately.

Edited by Nanobyte, 12 November 2012 - 10:18 PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:24 PM

Those updates are security updates...they should not be optional for anyone with NET Framework 1.1 installed.

Is Framework 1.1 installed on your system? It should not be on every system, since it is very old and was superceded by Net Framework 2.0 and above on many systems.

Louis

#6 Deep_Thought

Deep_Thought
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:56 PM

How can I tell if I have Framework 1.1 or something else?

#7 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:01 AM

All versions of .NET Framework will be in Add/Remove Programs. I'm guessing you have several versions. You may need all of them or none of them. That can be determined. You probably need a couple of them. .NET Framework is different from typical programs because it's not a stand alone program. Other apps need it to run properly and different apps use different versions.

#8 Deep_Thought

Deep_Thought
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:48 AM

Sorry for the late reply, I got busy with the holidays, then other stuff. But I think I've figured it out now, thanks for your help, guys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users