Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop won't recognize external drive

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 yarlac

yarlac

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:07 PM

I have an Acer Laptop bought 1.5 years ago. Just strated using it as my desktop died. I took the 500mb WD drive from the desktop connected it to my laptop could fully see the entire drive then I deleted all the files I needed to and moved 100gb from my laptop to the ecternal drive. All fine and dandy. Next time I fire it up the Laptop will not recognize the externa; WD drive at all. One time I did get a prompt to format that external drive. That was the onbly thing my laptop gave up that there was another drive. Does some setting need to be changed in the bios?

Help,Yarlac

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:03 PM

Hi Yarlac

We can try to see if using TestDisk will help you.

Download TestDisk from
http://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk-6.13.win.zip
and extract it to your desktop.
Open the folder testdisk-6.13
Double click testdisk_win.exe to run it.

TestDisk is a console application so you have to use your keyboard to interact with it instead of your mouse.

Choose Create and hit enter (this makes the file testdisk.log that is automatically created in the folder testdisk-6.13)
You should now see a list of drives.
If you have any difficulty identifying which one the external drive is, let us know what you see and we'll help you figure it out.
Select the external drive and choose Proceed and hit enter
Select Intel/PC partition and hit enter
Select Analyse and hit enter
Select Quick Search and hit enter
Say 'Y' if it asks if the disk was made in Vista/Win7 (even if it was made in XP say 'yes')

When it is done (if you are at a screen that has only the option CONTINUE at the bottom of it, hit enter to see the screen we need to see).

If you see what looks like a normal partition(s), highlight the one you think has your data and press
p
and see if you can see your files and folders that you are looking for there. Press
q
a bunch of times to back out of TestDisk

If anything looks different than I describe (possible depending on what is causing the problem) or you have any questions, stop and ask

What I need to know...

1. Did you see your files and folders in TestDisk?

2. I'd like to see the contents of the file testdisk.log that is automatically created in the folder testdisk-6.13 it may just be called testdisk instead of testdisk.log if your Windows is set to hide known extensions and it will have a text file icon.

James

Edited by James Litten, 22 October 2012 - 08:05 PM.

#3 yarlac

yarlac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:04 AM

I clicked on testdisk_win.exe. A black box opened and there was no choice to select "CREATE" there was a choice to "proceed" or "quit"
and nothing on my key board allowed me top chose one or the other. basically the program is dead in the water. two disks were shown one was the internall on the laptop the second was one that indicated 11777 TB. I have a 500GB external drive. What do I chose?

#4 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:57 AM

I've never seen it go straight to the disk selection screen like that before. If it exists, can you post the contents of the file testdisk.log that is automatically created in the folder testdisk-6.13 it may just be called testdisk instead of testdisk.log if your Windows is set to hide known extensions and it will have a text file icon.

James

#5 yarlac

yarlac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:29 PM

how long does this program run. I had to stop it because
I work on my computer.

#6 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:48 PM

Hi Yarlac

The time it takes depends on the drive. I don't recall ever seeing a QUICK SEARCH take more than an hour on a 500GB drive.

If it exists, can you post the contents of the file testdisk.log that is automatically created in the folder testdisk-6.13 it may just be called testdisk instead of testdisk.log if your Windows is set to hide known extensions and it will have a text file icon.

James

#7 yarlac

yarlac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:11 PM

program ran for 9 hours and completed 1%. Is there another way to do this like formating the external drive to be a storage drive?

#8 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:50 PM

Hi

If it exists, can you post the contents of the file testdisk.log that is automatically created in the folder testdisk-6.13 it may just be called testdisk instead of testdisk.log if your Windows is set to hide known extensions and it will have a text file icon.

James

#9 yarlac

yarlac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:28 PM

I ran testdisk twice. The first result after running several hours was the log file was to large for notepad. So much for that.

Here is what the second log file of testdisk said after 9 hours,

Wed Oct 24 07:39:48 2012
Command line: TestDisk

#10 yarlac

yarlac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:29 PM

if there is a fast way to do this and go by all the tests lets do that because I only have 26mb free on my laptops 250gb drive.

#11 yarlac

yarlac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:30 PM

I need this laptop for work and don't want to lose the data.ight now I have had to stop working until this issue is resolved. Boss not happy.

#12 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:59 PM

if there is a fast way to do this and go by all the tests lets do that because I only have 26mb free on my laptops 250gb drive.

Your computer won't function properly when you only have 26MB of free space on the system drive, you should fix that first by making more free space on the drive.

Without seeing the information from the log file it is difficult for me to make any conclusions about the nature of the problem that is preventing you from accessing the data on the external drive. The length of time it is taking and the large size of the log file usually point to a mechanical problem with the drive. It may also be at least partly a consequence of having such a full system drive.

Did you drop the external drive or bump it hard while it was powered up?

James

#13 yarlac

yarlac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2012 - 04:05 AM

Hi James,

Ok my laptop recognized my external HD and I erased many files and loaded 120gb to the external HD. Then the laptop stopped recognizing the external HD. So I plugged the external HD into a desktop to see if the external HD would be recognized. Well I could
hear the audible Windows chime when I plug the external HD in and when I unplug it. However, the HD never shows up in Windows Explorer file tree.

#14 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:59 AM

Hi Yarlac

I apologize but I can't tell if you are replying to me or if you are replying to a post from somewhere else and accidentally typing it here. Your replies don't seem to be for the messages that I post.

Which drive only has 26MB?

Did you drop the external drive or bump it kind of hard while it was powered on?

James

#15 yarlac

yarlac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2012 - 02:14 PM

Hi James,

My last post was just an overview sorry for the confusion and my lack of clarity.

The external drive was never bumped or dropped. It is the laptops internal drive that had 26mb available however, last night the Laptops drive suddenly and unexpectedly cleared 1.3gb that are now available. Scary because I don't know what was deleted, it could be months of work.

The testdisk scan isn't happening.

What next?

Yarlac

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users