Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Eight perks and drawbacks

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Dragongirl

Dragongirl

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:51 PM

Hey all, after a long time away {my compuyter is not bleeping anymore!!!!} I've been reading reviews of the new upcoming OS from Windows. In short, its got a few perks, but possibly double that in drawbacks. I'll list them off here and let others voice their own thoughts as well. Starting with.....

• Logon; It was stated in one review in CPU that 'One can use their Windows Live ID to login their Windows 8 machine. Allowing live sync of all data with the internet' Now, this to some is a much wanted perk, but to others, like myself, it has a really big drawback, Lack of security. Everyone these days are worried of PC and Identity Security protection. But now, some people are giving away their privacy like its free candy! My personal thought on the topic is, its a very bad idea to allow login via WLiveID to get onto a windows eight machine, mostly because you have no idea what could be waiting for you to make a wrong move to snag your info and use it against you.
  • The Metro UI; It looks OK, I guess, but it reminds me far too much of Apple's iPad 2 or even the iPod Touch far too much, this may be good for those wanting a ipad but can't get the $$ to buy one. Or for that matter switch to apple from windows. Though other companies are making things like this, Samsung for example. Personally my take on the subject is, I want the old start menu and task bar. Otherwise, its a mess
  • The desktop; This looks ok, but sadly, it does not allow under property {or is that perosalise ?} to use one of your own pictures. At least, as far as I have seen, sure it is cleaner, sure it looks brighter and prettier, but no, just no, the options are currently locked in the devices I've tested out, offering only one or two other images to use. and trying to navigate the desktop is just a complete mess. The Colors are just icky! I'm used to the Classic look from Win2K, {the most stable system I've ever used!} on dark as possible, with custom font effects, the works. colors too are all custom on my machine, and nowhere can I find where to do personalising for Windows 8,

Some other perks of windows eight that I actually agree with are....

• Better virus security and protection; So MSE got renamed, big deal, I still use it on my WinXPPro machine and Win7 machine!! Works wonders, sadly, as far as I can tell, Win8 wont allow MBAM ? Must look into this,
  • Everything is faster; this is true, boot up is indeed quicker, shutdown is questionable, everything is smoother and runs nicely. I do not think there are any problems here!
  • Everything is touch screen; I think this is a good idea, save for the tiny problem of having to constantly clean the screen every day or so. don't get me wroung, touchscreen is great, but cleaning the screen constantly will get a bit annoying wont it ?

What do you guys all think ? I know for a fact that Win8 is not for me and my local computer chopshops and custom builders will continue to offer windows 7 if I want to upgrade, {smeg they eveen got Windows XP Pro!!!} But I now wonder what everyone else thinks.

The kitten that used to be linked to here in this signature now has her forever home!! Thank you for taking the time to read this signature!

"This is the coolest place I've ever been, and I've only been alive for three days!" ~ Figment

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Skydie

Skydie

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 22 October 2012 - 06:34 PM

Touch screen isn't going to be used in a corporate enviroment nor a gaming one. Hence that rules out most people I know who'd want to upgrade, considering the main USP for Win8 is its more touchy look. I mean sure boot/shut down times might be a bit faster, but is it worth the readjusting and training? I don't think so.

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,617 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:28 PM

Logon; It was stated in one review in CPU that 'One can use their Windows Live ID to login their Windows 8 machine. Allowing live sync of all data with the internet' Now, this to some is a much wanted perk, but to others, like myself, it has a really big drawback, Lack of security. Everyone these days are worried of PC and Identity Security protection. But now, some people are giving away their privacy like its free candy! My personal thought on the topic is, its a very bad idea to allow login via WLiveID to get onto a windows eight machine, mostly because you have no idea what could be waiting for you to make a wrong move to snag your info and use it against you.

You can only use the Windows Live ID if you use a Microsoft account on Windows 8. Otherwise, you use a local account that is the same as Windows has always used. I agree, though, about security implications.

The Metro UI; It looks OK, I guess, but it reminds me far too much of Apple's iPad 2 or even the iPod Touch far too much, this may be good for those wanting a ipad but can't get the $$ to buy one. Or for that matter switch to apple from windows. Though other companies are making things like this, Samsung for example. Personally my take on the subject is, I want the old start menu and task bar. Otherwise, its a mess

I think metro will shine on their tablets. As a desktop OS, not so much.

The desktop; This looks ok, but sadly, it does not allow under property {or is that perosalise ?} to use one of your own pictures. At least, as far as I have seen, sure it is cleaner, sure it looks brighter and prettier, but no, just no, the options are currently locked in the devices I've tested out, offering only one or two other images to use. and trying to navigate the desktop is just a complete mess. The Colors are just icky! I'm used to the Classic look from Win2K, {the most stable system I've ever used!} on dark as possible, with custom font effects, the works. colors too are all custom on my machine, and nowhere can I find where to do personalising for Windows 8,

Hmm..the desktop really looks the same to me as Windows 7. I can change the background as well.

Better virus security and protection; So MSE got renamed, big deal, I still use it on my WinXPPro machine and Win7 machine!! Works wonders, sadly, as far as I can tell, Win8 wont allow MBAM ? Must look into this,

Agree...agree..agree... Windows users will be protected on bootup! Granted they will still need to do a defs update, but its a big improvement.

Everything is faster; this is true, boot up is indeed quicker, shutdown is questionable, everything is smoother and runs nicely. I do not think there are any problems here!

I honestly have not noticed anything different other than startup, which is very fast.

Personally, though, I am sticking with Windows 7. That does not mean I wont learn Windows 8 and write plenty of tutorials for it, but just that I couldn't imaging using the start screen as my main desktop.

#4 Dragongirl

Dragongirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:45 PM

All good points and I thank Grinler and Skydie for their input. a few things of reply to Grinler though :)

I guess the security implications of possible identity theft is indeed worrisome, it is good to know however that a local account like normal {for example on XP Pro my logon there is considered a local account yes ?} can still be used. Only draw backs I see for the tablets is a dirty screen needing cleaning every so often, more often then not I suppose. I guess also that I need to look into Win8 a bit more then to see the user settings to personalise the machine to their needs, have not yet gotten the chance to do so yet though. Anf yea,h its great to have full time protection from virii and other bad stuff! I'm glad MS is getting their act together in terms of antivirus protection!

And I agree Grinler, I may just stick with my XPPro machine and Win7 machine, thankfully my local computer chopshop store has both OSes for sale for original base prices. {cheaper then some mainstream stores actually} This does not mean I hate Win8 or anything, I'm just wondering if I should test the waters. Not that I want to completely ruin my lappie, I love this thing!

I guess there is no harm in trying it out when it is on store shelves right ?

The kitten that used to be linked to here in this signature now has her forever home!! Thank you for taking the time to read this signature!

"This is the coolest place I've ever been, and I've only been alive for three days!" ~ Figment

#5 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:43 PM

startup on win 8 is fabulous. its half of my win7 startup time, and when the home screen shows up there is no additional waiting for stuff to finish loading..

i run mbam on mine. works very well.

the only issues ive had is that the graphics drivers are slow and doesnt have 3d support (1st gen i5 with hd 3000) and that the network drivers are acting up (intel lm and 6300abn)
sometimes it doesnt recognize an ethernet connection when i insert the cable. i have to deactivate then reactivate the network card.
also, the wlan drivers added around 30ms of ping time on anything. it was a bit hard for me to do diagnostics with it when you are uncertain about where the lag comes from. solution was to install the win7 drivers..

other than that i like it. i am not so sure everybody else will because it will mess with the way they have to use the computer in everyday life. i can see the.. hmm.. age challenged people scratching their heads. they just got the hang of win7 and are not willing to give up on that to learn something new... lol

it feels like half touch / half win 7 to me. but i guess we will get the grasp of what it can do when the tablet and phones start emerging

TFN

#6 JazzMahn

JazzMahn

• Members
  • 401 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:56 AM

Much to say abouw Windows 8 Pro Upgrade. I keep reading how the startup is supposed to be faster than Windows 7. I don't find that to be true. I think it takes even longer.

I am sure once I wrap my hands around keyboard shortcuts that it will be easier to navigatge Windows 8. Right now it is me constantly going to the search section to find things such as Control Panel, Computer, etc.

I am impressed with the entire upgrade process. Mine went without a hitch. The download took forever but the care that was designed into the installation was well planned.

I am having problems with the email feature as I used Outlook rather than Windows Live (Hotmail) but I feel I will get it straightened out.

I don't like that I can't initiate Windows Updat when I want. Maybe I can but just don't know how. I saw where there were 5 updates that were ready during the next automatic update. I would prefer to set things where I can update what I when and when I want.

Overall, I think it is a great improvement over previous operating systems. I've been through 3.1, 95, 98, Me, XP, 7, and now 8. I guess I am crazy to be an early adopter but I think Microsoft has something!!!

#7 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,617 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:38 AM

You can still initiate Windows update from the classic desktop control panel.

#8 Dragongirl

Dragongirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:27 AM

Much to say abouw Windows 8 Pro Upgrade. I keep reading how the startup is supposed to be faster than Windows 7. I don't find that to be true. I think it takes even longer.

So there really is no difference between start times for both 7 & 8 ? Ikt is good ot hear the rumors debunked! :D

I am sure once I wrap my hands around keyboard shortcuts that it will be easier to navigatge Windows 8. Right now it is me constantly going to the search section to find things such as Control Panel, Computer, etc.

I am impressed with the entire upgrade process. Mine went without a hitch. The download took forever but the care that was designed into the installation was well planned.

I am having problems with the email feature as I used Outlook rather than Windows Live (Hotmail) but I feel I will get it straightened out.

Keyboard shortcuts seem to be the norm now, there were none on anything else I remember even the ipod or ipads. that will take some getting used to.

Slow downloads, I understand that personally, and hate them quite a bit. but the care of design into the installing however has me slightly nervous that if I try to upgrade my laptop to Win8 I wont be able to revert back to Seven or even XPPro {the latter of which I have right now running to post this}

I don't use the MS provided email systems, I prefer Yahoo or googles mail programs personally.

I don't like that I can't initiate Windows Updat when I want. Maybe I can but just don't know how. I saw where there were 5 updates that were ready during the next automatic update. I would prefer to set things where I can update what I when and when I want.

Overall, I think it is a great improvement over previous operating systems. I've been through 3.1, 95, 98, Me, XP, 7, and now 8. I guess I am crazy to be an early adopter but I think Microsoft has something!!!

It took me a whiel to get used to automatic updates for MSE happening once a day {or more times} mostly that it completely locks me out of everything else {why my PF goes through the roof every time it starts up is beyond me}, it was not until I managed to set the updates personally to happen once a week and be completely automatic that it works like it should though.

I've been through Windows since Windows 98, and personally I like Windows 2000 the most, its the most stable system and right after that came XP, which I still use and like quite a bit. I've looked at Win8 and I see it too much like an iPad with a keyboard added onto it. My personal thought.

Another drawback I noticed is that some programs like Chrome for example, comes preinstalled on Seven, but its not in the Windows Store for 8, apparently it does not recognise th actual helpfulness that is Google Chrome. Which I use. {for adblocker}

I also noticed that they now call all programs apps now, this is kinda dumb to me because apps are what Apple coined, so why does EVERYONE have to go with it when they are actually programs ? It does not really make much sense.

Though now this makes me wonder if MS are padding numbers because a lot of people just do not like Windows 8, Saying that by monday 4 million copies of Windows 8 Pro were sold either on disc or on a new machine. Somehow I really doubt that.

However this thread is for perks and drawbacks, so rattle off more if you guys have some in mind!

#9 Dragongirl

Dragongirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:29 PM

I must admit now that I have given Windows 8 a try at my parents local Sams Club store, and to be absolutely honest, for a LAPTOP or DESKTOP, it sucks, badly. it is impossible to do anything whatsoever. and there is no way to customise the system, find anything. whatever. HOWEVER, on the touchscreen stuff the store had on display, it actually looked nice, and worked like it was supposed to.

Then at the airport in Detroit I find Masimum PC magazine's review on Win8 and their verdict of "If you are playing it OldSkool and are still using Windows 2000, We praise you. we ourselves will be storing up ME and XP and Seven." Or something akin to that. It struck me as funny that they think Windows ME was more usible then 8, somehow other then the flashy look, I agree with them, and personally I WANT Windows 2000 again. That was my most stable system. it was awesome.

Either way, my personal score card; on desktops and laptops, Windows eight I do not recommend, get Windows seven if you can, {downgrade if you have to} but if you want a touchscreen or a surface tablet, go ahead. be my guest. It works the way it should, but I do not want it personally, I'd hate to have to clean the screen constantly.

I'll shut up now :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users