Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble installing Zune Software

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Minijulia

Minijulia

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:25 PM

My laptop (Compaq Evo N800c) with WinXP SP3 meets all of the system requirements for installing the Zune software, which I am desperate to install as my only option to upload several thousand files off my Windows phone that's on its last limb before I get a new one- I would so greatly appreciate any help I receive on this site as the Zune troubleshooting and forums are no avail.

I updated Windows. I downloaded and installed the Zune software from http://support.xbox.com/en-US/zune/software/download. After clicking on ZuneSetupPkg.exe and ZunePackage.exe, I get a message saying that Zune is already installed, although it shows up nowhere on my computer, not even in the control panel under add/ remove programs.

I have no idea what to try next to get this successfully installed, and I would appreciate it so much if anyone could help.

Thanks

-Julia

Edited by Minijulia, 22 October 2012 - 03:37 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 easyrider2

easyrider2

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:58 PM

Hi,

it seems that you may have some remnants of Zune in your Windows Registry.

Since there is no cleaning program for Zune developed by Microsoft, the easiest (and safest) way to clean the remnants is to dowload the Ccleaner Free (http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download). Once installed the Ccleaner, go to Registry, click Scan for issues, once the Ccleaner finishes scan, click on Fix selected issues. When asked 'Do you want to backup changes in the registry?' click on Yes, then Save. Then Fix All Selected Issues.

Restart your computer. Now it hopefully will allow the clean installation of Zune. I have been there ;)

Edited by easyrider2, 22 October 2012 - 03:59 PM.

#3 Minijulia

Minijulia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2012 - 05:04 PM

Thanks for the response. After following those steps I was then able to delete the zunesetuppkg.exe and zunepackage.exe, but then after trying to reinstall zune, I clicked on the new zunesetuppkg.exe, and got the message "SOFTWARE UP TO DATE The latest version of the Zune software is already installed on this computer. No update is available."

Also if this is of any relevance to a solution.. upon this installation attempt as well as the last one, in the Device Manager there is something with a yellow exclamation icon that 'zune wireless' and also a yellow explamation icon by something that says 'Zune Bus Root Bus Enumerator'. I clicked on the latter and it made my computer restart. Then I tried right clicking on it and it said no driver is found for it. No clue what to try next!

Thanks for bearing with me!

#4 Minijulia

Minijulia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:21 PM

I was fortunately able to install Zune on a different computer. However, I am having a hard time removing the excess Zune files from the computer I'm working on. I tried the CCleaner again, and it claims to have removed the registry value for it, but the files are still on my computer. When I try to delete them, I just get a message saying it can't be deleted because my system is either write-protected or the files are in use.

Is there possibly another program you reccommend that might get this mess removed from my computer for good?

Thanks a lot

#5 easyrider2

easyrider2

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:52 AM

Hi,

it may be worth trying suggestion from Microsoft website: http://support.xbox.com/en-US/zune/software/remove-and-reinstall-zune

There is one more thing that you could do - which is editing your Windows Registry and removing all Zune - associated values manually BUT this is the last resort and also can be dangerous to your system if anything goes wrong.

Try the link first and let us know if it's working.

Regards

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:33 PM

Editing the registry can result in an inoperable computer. For this reason I would suggest that if you wish to pursue this that you back up the Registry with a program like ERUNT.

[*]Please use the following link and scroll down to ERUNT and download it.
http://aumha.org/freeware/freeware.php
[*]For version with the Installer:
Use the setup program to install ERUNT on your computer
[*]For the zipped version:
Unzip all the files into a folder of your choice.
[/list]Click Erunt.exe to backup your registry to the folder of your choice.

Note: to restore your registry, go to the folder and start ERUNT.exe

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 easyrider2

easyrider2

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2012 - 03:46 AM

Thanks for help dc3 ;)

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:11 AM

You're welcome, this is what we all do here, try to help.Posted Image

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users