Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

speaker problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 noonytunes

noonytunes

• Members
  • 663 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:31 PM

Hi. My computer is a Gateway SX2803-25e with Windows 7. It did not come with speakers and the manual doesn't specify that it needs any certain speakers. I've tried to use the speakers from my old computer, a dinosaur HP--7955 if I remember correctly. They are small Polk audio speakers. I haven't been able to get any sound from them. I can get sound from headphones. When I troubleshooted it said that there may be an issue with a soundcard--which I don't know anything about. I don't want to go out and buy new speakers if they aren't going to work either. When I tried to get the computer to find new hardware it just got stuck and didn't show anything. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.:blink:
noonytunes

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:55 PM

Download the audio driver, http://support.gateway.com/us/en/product/default.aspx?tab=1&modelId=3466 , save to desktop.

Uninstall the audio driver in Device Manager, probably listed as "Realtek HD" under Sound, Video, & Game Controllers.

Install the driver downloaded...see if that solves it.

Louis

#3 noonytunes

noonytunes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 663 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:39 AM

Hi Ham, thank you for responding. I followed the instructions you provided. The new driver is installed and it says that it is working properly. The old driver is uninstalled. There is another driver, it seems, that is Intel. I can still get audio with my headphones but I am not getting anything with the speakers. My computer doesn't seem to be able to find the speakers. I must have a missing piece, I guess. What would you suggest now?

Thanks so much. Have a great day. :whistle:

noonytunes

noonytunes

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:21 PM

It's possible that the jack the speakers plug into has gone bad, while the headphone jack still works.

Do you have anything else to hook the speakers to so you can see if they work on another device? Is there anyone you could borrow speakers from so you can see what they do when hooked up?

If they do work one something else it's likely that the problem is the jack. If the jack is on the motherboard you have 2 options:

1) Replace the motherboard which can be costly.

OR

2) If your tower has an PCI expansion slot purchase a sound card, install it and the drivers, and hook the speakers to the sound card. A sound card is the more affordable option.

#5 noonytunes

noonytunes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 663 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:55 PM

Thank you for responding. I appreciate it. I just know that the speakers worked on my old computer. I may try new speakers and if that doesn't work I'll get the sound card.
Take care.

:huh:

noonytunes

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:06 PM

Well...you can easily find out if the speakers work or not...by connecting to an .mp3 player, that should be no mystery.

Louis

#7 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:02 PM

Re testing the speaker output, turn the volume down and connect headphones with mini-jack to the audio output. Increase volume. Until I got speakers with a mini-jack, I had a splitter on the audio output, one to the amp, the other to headphones (which had a volume control).

Edited by Nanobyte, 02 November 2012 - 10:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users