Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows 7 .lnk shortcut virus

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Drfrankr

Drfrankr

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:34 AM

I am running a six month old Dell desktop computer running Windows 7. There are two separate user accounts; one for my wife and one for me. All of the desktop icons with the exception of two pdf and one other icon are now Word documents. I looked up the file associations and if I change the association with lnk to IE, for example, all the icons change to IE files. On my side of the computer, I have not been infected, although some of my directories have been moved to other places (found them by accident). We are running Norton Security Suite from Comcast. Can someone please help? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks...drfrankr

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:44 AM

Copy this file to the account with issue

LNK FIX

Launch it and click YES

Restart the PC and let me know if that worked.

Edited by narenxp, 22 October 2012 - 10:44 AM.

#3 Drfrankr

Drfrankr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:17 AM

I copied the link to my side of the computer and ran it. After rebooting, it seemed that things were running a little faster. However, there was no noticeable change to my wife's account. By the way, how do I get the link to her side of the computer?

Thanks...drfrankr

#4 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:34 AM

If I'm not wrong you should be able to open your browser in other account.Download it and launch it or copy the file from flash drive to other account.

#5 Drfrankr

Drfrankr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:10 PM

Was not able to open the browser on that side, but was able to move the link using a zip drive. Ran it and rebooted and everything seems to be fixed. I tried the web and openned various file types and they all seemed to work fine. Is there anything else I should run before getting back to normal?

I prefer to use Firefox as my browser, but there is an online application needed for our work that only works with IE. I also had the opinion that they had fixed most of their problems.

Thanks again...drfrankr

#6 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:55 PM

You're good now :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users