Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

slow windows UI

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 lukistrela

lukistrela

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:38 PM

Very slow operations like Start button, start an application, switch between windows.
Sometimes stalls completely. Sometimes freezes so I have to go with power button.
When inside an application - not so bad.
I am having this PC second hand for about a year, getting worse gradually.
AVG antivirus and tuneup say all is fine.

HP Pavilion a6207c
Windows 7 64

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Edited by lukistrela, 21 October 2012 - 11:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ronald.teng

ronald.teng

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:03 AM

Consider doing a Registry cleaning, Ccleaner?

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,762 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 22 October 2012 - 05:25 AM

Consider doing a Registry cleaning, Ccleaner?

The following was originally posted by Animal, one of our Site Administrators.

"

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

• Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

• Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

• Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

• Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

• The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in unpredictable results.

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

* Ed Bott's Webog: Why I don’t use registry cleaners
* Do I need a Registry Cleaner?

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry."

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,762 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2012 - 05:31 AM

There is an article at Microsoft at home which has suggestions that may help you.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 iceremover

iceremover

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 22 October 2012 - 05:32 AM

has the PC been formatted or reinstalled when you started using it?

for starters i would recommend overlooking the installed programs list and delete unwanted programs.
maybe create a new profile, move your data and start fresh ?

#6 lukistrela

lukistrela
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:52 AM

Got to the blue screen, then disk boot failure...

I took the advice from iceremover and created a new user. That seemed to make things a little better at first, but then deteriorated gradually.
And now this

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,762 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:34 AM

Please post the exact message you get with this failure.

#8 ShinyTech

ShinyTech

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:44 AM

If you got a blue screen and disk boot failure it could be one of two things. First your hard drive might be failing. Run either a built in hard drive test or you can downlaod a free one. I use drive fitness test to test my drives. Second the OS might be corrupted. If you recieve a 7B bluescreen the files for the drivers related to the hard drive might be bad. In this case the best best is to reformatt the computer and start fresh.

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:25 AM

I believe that your HP has a Hard Drive test in the Bios setup.

Normally that can be accessed by pressing F10 when the HP logo appears at power on.

This HP link contains further informtion.HP Hard Drive Information

Once the drive has passed the test or failed the test further help can be targeted properly.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,762 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:51 AM

Most manufacturers have a diagnostic tool which you can download and is designed for their products. Most of these that I've seen involve burning the download to a CD as a ISO file so that you can boot from the CD and run the test. The download site will have instructions for making the CD and running the test. They usually will have two tests, a short one, and a long one. I would suggest running the long test as it is a more comprehensive test.

To burn the ISO file to a CD you can download and use Imgburn. There is a good tutorial for using Imgburn, you can read it here.

To find out who the manufacturer is you can download SIW, open it and scroll down to Hardware, then click on Storage Devices.

#11 lukistrela

lukistrela
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:04 AM

Great advice, everybody!

rotor123: here's what I found under F10:
SMART Extended Self-Test
Estimated test time: 77 minutes
This test completes in 4 seconds, saying: Passed, completed without errors

Somehow the computer booted up tonight, so I ran chkdsk

I noticed the decal on the box says Windows Vista, but I got it with Win 7 installed. Could that be the source of the problems?

Thanks very much!

#12 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:46 AM

The computer came with Vista, and now has Windows 7. Did the seller give you the Windows 7 disk and license (Product Key)?

It could be that the Windows 7 never had the proper drivers installed. The drivers Windows installs may work but are never optimized for performance.

I would be tempted to dump the AVG. It happens that different computers react to AntiVirus poorly and changing the AntiVirus can sometimes help.
Changing the AVG to something else could be the cure.

Here is a list of Anti Malware products. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic405.html

Here is a list of Virus/Malware related links, software, and resources to help with the removal of Spyware. This list has been created from a variety of sources and anyone is free to copy this list in its entirety for their boards or other purposes. Please note that BleepingComputer does not provide any warranty that these tools will work as advertised or not cause further problems to your computer. Please use only if you understand what you are doing.

Slow Computer?

Slow Computer Checklist

Because many members post about their computer responding slowly, BC is posting a summary checklist of general steps a member can take to resolve this problem, and briefly discussing the three most common causes: malware, uncontrolled applications, and lack of maintenance.

Try these suggestions and see how it goes.

Another cause of slow can be the CPU running hot or not enough memory or no hard drive space left free.

Good Luck
Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#13 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:48 AM

Great advice, everybody!

rotor123: here's what I found under F10:
SMART Extended Self-Test
Estimated test time: 77 minutes
This test completes in 4 seconds, saying: Passed, completed without errors

Somehow the computer booted up tonight, so I ran chkdsk

I noticed the decal on the box says Windows Vista, but I got it with Win 7 installed. Could that be the source of the problems?

Thanks very much!

The test completed in 4 seconds? that isn't right it usually runs an hour plus.
Try the drive test from here, Seatools

167 @ June 2015

#14 lukistrela

lukistrela
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:54 AM

Thanks, Roger!

OS: box came with Windows 7 installed, no disk or license

AVG: machine came with avasti, I switched to AVG later and never noticed any effect

Hardware: The slowness is felt only for Windows operations, like starting an app, switching between windows. When inside an app like Office, browser, media player etc., it feels all right. I think this pretty much rules out hardware problems: CPU, memory, ...

General slow computer advice: I went through those a few times before starting this thread.

Poor Windows drivers sounds like an interesting idea. How do I start looking for better drivers?

cheers

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,762 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:34 AM

Please use the following link to provide us with information about your computer so that we can assist you.

How to Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users