Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with getting pdf files within browser

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Astrovel

Astrovel

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 21 October 2012 - 06:20 PM

I have Adobe Acrobat reader version 14 installed on my XP computer. However, when I try to download a knitting pattern in pdf format, I get an error box that says I cannot download this file unless I have at least Acrobat version 8 or 9. A couple of times I have been able to catch the web address in time to patch it into the Acrobat reader box and get the file that way but not always.

How can I set the browser to make sure the latest version will load the pdf file?

Thanks for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jdukze

jdukze

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:36 PM

Hi Astrovel,
Try right click on the link and select "Save Target As" or "Save Link As"
in the Save As window it should show as Adobe Document or Adobe PDF.
If there are previous versions of Adobe Acrobat, try un-installing as well.
I am sure the "Save Target As" or "Save Link As" will help.
Cheers :crazy:
JDUKZE

The only man who never makes mistakes is the man who never does
anything.

Theodore Roosevelt

#3 Firefoxthebomb

Firefoxthebomb

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:51 PM

I have Adobe Acrobat reader version 14 installed on my XP computer.

Not sure what you mean about Acrobat Reader version 14 and the latest current version is Version 11 and you can download it from HERE.

firefoxsig-resized.jpg.b57936275b99d45f7

Dell Precision T7810, Win10 64bit fully updated, Symantec Endpoint Protection,
Watchguard Firewall, Intel Xeon E5-2620v4 CPUs, Dual 8 Core Processors, 32GB Ram,
E5-2620v4 @ 2.10GHz X 2, AMD FirePro W4100 with 4 Screens, 500GB SSD Boot Drive,
Raid-1 Dual 2TB Sata 10000 rpm Hard Drives, DVD Burner, IE11, Opera, MBAM, MBSB, MBAE

#4 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:45 AM

I think the difference in versions is that one id full program and the version 11 is a browser addon /plugin

and I think the error is giving because the browser addon is not install or the wrong version ,maybe

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#5 Firefoxthebomb

Firefoxthebomb

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:57 AM

I would try un-installing all versions of Acrobat Reader and then install just the lastest version of Adobe Reader Version XI

firefoxsig-resized.jpg.b57936275b99d45f7

Dell Precision T7810, Win10 64bit fully updated, Symantec Endpoint Protection,
Watchguard Firewall, Intel Xeon E5-2620v4 CPUs, Dual 8 Core Processors, 32GB Ram,
E5-2620v4 @ 2.10GHz X 2, AMD FirePro W4100 with 4 Screens, 500GB SSD Boot Drive,
Raid-1 Dual 2TB Sata 10000 rpm Hard Drives, DVD Burner, IE11, Opera, MBAM, MBSB, MBAE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users