Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using System Image to put a Windows OS on a mac...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 R0D3R1CK

R0D3R1CK

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 21 October 2012 - 05:24 PM

Before we get any further, please let me know if this would be illegal...I would, of course, be using the Windows system image (and thus the Windows OS and my personal files) to transfer said data onto the Mac's harddrive. I wouldn't be purchasing a new copy of the Windows OS.

If it is legal, is it possible?

Obviously the mac would come with OSX and a hard drive, presumably with its own partitions (right? I'm not really familiar with Macs). So how could I move a system image (Windows OS + personal files + Recovery partition) onto a Mac's harddrive so as to enable BootCamp to boot into either the Mac OS or the Windows OS?

If you're wondering why I want to do this, it's for many reasons. Among them is that my current laptop (an HP with Windows 7) is poorly made. I've sent it in once for repairs and it appears that I might be breaking again. Sending it in is a hassle, so I might jump ship and become a Mac fanboy.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gduv

gduv

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:14 PM

Hey there, Rod3rick,
I can't speak to the legality of mounting an ISO image of your Windows 7 OS onto the hard drive of an Apple computer but I can speak to the wrongness of some better intentions. You have not yet met the screaming migraine that will happen mixing Windows and Mac. Get ready, the frustration level will feel like your head is about ready to explode.
If you're having so much trouble with Windows 7 on a Windows native machine, changing machines won't be of much help. Trade your HP running Win 7 for an IBM dual core Apple, running Snow Leopard ( OS X 10.6 ) or Lion ( OS X 10.7 ). You'll be able to get some work done, play some cool games, blaze around the net, and sleep better at night.

Bye, now.
Much health and happiness to you and yours.

Apple IBook/ OS X 10.2.8/ Camino 1.03/I-Cab/Safari 1.03/
and a Frog in a Tuxedo

7450 I-Mac, G4/ 1.2 ghrz/1.5gb RAM/ single core/OS X 10.5.8/ Camino/ Neo Office/Seashore/ Bean/ Java update

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users