Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

toshiba laptop won't boot

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 HATEtoshiba

HATEtoshiba

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 21 October 2012 - 05:17 PM

Bought the toshiba satellite A505-S6970 for college three years ago. Now the logo shows then the F2 or F12 menu. After which there is only a blinking cursor, There are no error beeps. Additionally the keyboard is entirely unresponsive: I can neither enter the F2 nor F12 menu.

After powering I have left it sitting an hour but it was still a flashing cursor. It will not boot to usb if I put in a known to boot usb drive. Similarly it won't boot from a bootable CD or a DVD.

Toshiba help suggests alternatively: power, immediately hold down ESC for three seconds, then hit F1 when prompted. I am never prompted.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ronald.teng

ronald.teng

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:01 AM

I am guessing you have a faulty hard drive, time to change I assume.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,483 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 22 October 2012 - 05:49 AM

The information below are instructions on how to make a bootable CD which you can use to access the Recovery Console which hopefully will help solve this problem.

How to make a bootable CD to access the Recovery Console.

Please download ARCDC from Artellos.com.

* Double click ARCDC.exe
* Follow the dialog until you see 6 options. Please pick: Windows Professional SP2 & SP3
* You will be prompted with a Terms of Use by Microsoft, please accept.
* You will see a few DOS screens flash by, this is normal.
* Next you will be able to choose to add extra files. Select the Default Files.
* The last window will allow you to burn the disk using BurnCDCC

Your ISO is located on your desktop.

In order to boot from this CD you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order.

Once you have booted from the CD you will come to a screen which will offer the options to Install or Repair, select R.

When you reach the command prompt type chkdsk /r then press Enter. Please observe that there is a space between chkdsk and the forward slash r (/r).

Chkdsk has five stages which will display the percentage of each stage as it runs. This can take a very long time to run, it may even appear to have stalled. Please do not stop this process as it can cause severe damage to the operating system.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 22 October 2012 - 05:23 PM

HATEtoshiba,

You could try this if you haven't already:
  • Remove any USB devices (flash drives, printers, external HDDs) attached to the computer as well as any disks in the DVD\CDROM drive.
  • Remove A/C power adapter, remove laptop battery, press the power-on button and hold for 10 seconds.
  • Plug in A/C adapter, then attempt to power on laptop.
If you can't access any F keys (BIOS, Avanced Boot Options, Boot menu, etc), there's a good chance the motherboard is not POSTing.

Regards,
Brooks

#5 HATEtoshiba

HATEtoshiba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:47 AM

Apparently the cursor is static not blinking if that matters.

I am guessing you have a faulty hard drive, time to change I assume.

yikes! Amazon "packaging" has damanaged every desktop hard drive I've ever purchase (I have returned all for full refund since they cannot bother with UPS/fedex standards) I don't trust the big block stores around here anymore either. Newegg has sold me obviously returned merchandise. Others must be fortunate or naive. Is there a non-newegg recommended retailer for [seagate] hard drives?

You could try this if you haven't already:

• Remove any USB devices (flash drives, printers, external HDDs) attached to the computer as well as any disks in the DVD\CDROM drive.
  • Remove A/C power adapter, remove laptop battery, press the power-on button and hold for 10 seconds.
  • Plug in A/C adapter, then attempt to power on laptop.
If you can't access any F keys (BIOS, Avanced Boot Options, Boot menu, etc), there's a good chance the motherboard is not POSTing.

Good thoughts. The only time a usb device was attached was attempting to boot Linux Mint.

What is the intent of 10second power button without battery?

same problem with HD removed. same problem with every permutation of [re]moved ram sticks. I dearly hope it's not the motherboard or similar.

#6 HATEtoshiba

HATEtoshiba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:14 PM

For whatever reason it now boots. No fanfare though please. Shutting down windows sometimes results in the same effect *. I wiped the windows partition because there were apparently some issues there. Fun fact: the hidden restore/recovery partition refuses to boot because it cannot find a certain file on the now wiped windows parition. (since windows was eerily deteriorating, files going missing, I expect I would have encountered this delight anyway). Since it did not ship with physical restore media, and since the partition refuses to cooperate (after booting into Ubuntu on USB flash drive and setting the partition as active boot) I opted to install linux mint on the middle of three partitions

sda1: 900 megs
sda2: 250 gigs
sda3: 10 gigs

I left sda1 and sda3 as is. I resized sda2 to 150 gigs and created an extended partition in which I created four additional logical partitions for / [root], /boot, /home, swap. I installed Linux Mint 13 Mate 64 bit. I left the now smaller sda2 for such a time as toshiba deigns to communicate with a mere residential customer about acquiring- or purchasing physical restore media for windows [vista, blech].

Any ideas how to wrangle such from Toshiba? Sony likes to charge $20-$60 for such a DVD. I don't think it's ethical- or legal to use the windows key from the bottom of the laptop with a borrowed OEM image from the dark hat people. I would like to have windows back without having to RE-purchase it.

:sigh:

Mint is great but the other laptop user is none too thrilled at the prospect of PlayOnLinux (wine) to play SOME of the windows games partially or crippled.

[*] Also after starting Mint or resuming from suspend (never using hibernate) the EXT partitions are ALWAYS consistency checked (and frequently in need of repair). The SMART tools don't report any bad health metrics. Do I also "get to" buy a new hard disk?

Edited by HATEtoshiba, 22 November 2012 - 11:16 PM.

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:51 PM

I left the now smaller sda2 for such a time as toshiba deigns to communicate with a mere residential customer about acquiring- or purchasing physical restore media for windows

Hi -
I needed to purchase the Restore Media for my Toshiba laptop 12 months ago and Toshiba were very good and quick to send it out.
From memory it cost me about $60 delivered to my house about 3 days from my phone call - Restored to factory condition, so save any files to CD or USB sticks.
This is a 3 set of DVDs that contained my Home Premium version.

Regards -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users