Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

fustrating keyboard and mouse inputs

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 animemonster

animemonster

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 21 October 2012 - 03:33 PM

the other day my mouse stopped functioning, it didn't seem to be a mouse issue since the indicator light on the reciever still worked so i closed everything and restarted my computer.

problem persisted so i plugged in a generic optical mouse as a test. the problem continued.

i unplugged my keyboard and the problem still continues.

at this point i'm certain its in my software, but unsure where.

problem:

mouse commands suddenly don't function or lag.
internet will randomly go back pages when i attemt to click on something.
computer acts like there are ghost inputs even when using on screen keyboard.
computer just freezes up when more than one program is open.

specs:

windows 7 64-bit, updated last night
pentium processor
4 gb ram
currently using ie, problem noticeable in firefox and chrome, too
kaspersky antivirus, out of license

any more info provided at request

right now struggling to submit problem as my computer won't accept ledt mouse click on post new topic, but will accept left mouse button on onscreen keyboard allowin me to type. will try alt+tab to make this forum window active. no progress will try just tabbing

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 animemonster

animemonster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:59 PM

it might be my keyboard afterall. after restarting without it mouse input seems to be working, but the problem came again after i cleaned the keyboard and plugged it back in. device manager shows no problem, except hid compliant keyboard when none is plugged in. going to check with my comp manufacture for drivers

#3 animemonster

animemonster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:25 PM

Testing keyboard on a family member's computer. Unfortunately, I am not testing on the same operating system, this is a 32-bit Windows XP computer.

I did find that my PS/2 keyboard did have a bent pin, which I straightened using a mechanical pencil. I will now look at the port on my computer and try the keyboard there. I'm unsure how the keyboard pin got bent, since the only time I've taken it out was long before the problem began and that was to move the computer to another room. I will test if there is still a problem on my primary computer.

#4 animemonster

animemonster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:40 PM

still doesn't function on my win 7 machine. ps/2 port might be bad since no lights even. problem is persisting and now causing my mouse not to wake up when it goes to sleep. i have to turn it on and off to restore functionality.

edit: computer acts as though keyboard is connected. turning on onscreen keyboard and using it today was a problem as i repeatedly have to turn on and off mu=y mouse to do so.

Edited by animemonster, 23 October 2012 - 01:40 PM.

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,924 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:58 PM

Hello, I am moving this to Win7 forum to start..Perhaps thety can assist.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 animemonster

animemonster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2012 - 04:39 PM

I hadn't turned my computer on in a week. During that time I found a USB keyboard that I had used with my old computer (my new one came with the PS/2 keyboard I had been using). I cleaned up my old keyboard and plugged it in.

So far it seems to work. The real test will be after I leave it on and idel for a couple of hours. I'm starting to believe that the problem may actually be with my PS/2 port. Since switching windows seems to work fine. To give it a really good test I loaded a large Excel spreadsheet that I have and it didn't even bat an eye.

I'll edit this comment in about three hours with info on whether or not it's truly fixed. If so then it was probably that port.

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:42 PM

Hi -
Have you checked in Device Manager for any red or yellow ( ! ) or ( ? ) marks beside the keyboard , mouse , USB devices , or any other devices ??

Thank You -

#8 animemonster

animemonster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:59 PM

Nothing for mouse or keyboard...

#9 StuckInReboot

StuckInReboot

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:44 PM

If the problem persists and you don't want to try a complete OS reinstall, as long as the keyboard and mouse wasn't super expensive you can find a cheap keyboard and mouse almost anywhere, it will probably save you more time.

#10 animemonster

animemonster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:49 PM

My mouse isn't a cheap mouse. But the keyboard that I'm currently using is a different one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users