Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dvd/cd-rw Not Recognized

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 UMPINet

UMPINet

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 20 March 2006 - 09:27 AM

I am working on laptop where the dvd drive is not recognized by windows. A clean install of windows XP has been done. I have tried everything. I am unable to find a Bios update for it. USB drive occasionally work. The laptop tends to freeze up on occasion. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2006 - 09:47 AM

All motherboard/chipset drivers installed?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 UMPINet

UMPINet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2006 - 01:27 PM

yes

#4 UMPINet

UMPINet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2006 - 08:16 AM

Any ideas anyone?

#5 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 29 March 2006 - 09:46 AM

Since you've reinstalled windows, have you updated to service pack 2? If so, have you updated everything else since then; meaning have you updated windows? DVD/CD drives are (for the most part, maybe 99.9% of the time) are plug and play. If you're having issues with just a drive, try updating windows to make sure that the OS has all the latest drivers for various hardware.

If your system keeps crashing, well, that might very well be caused by a conflicting driver also. I'd recomend updating windows, ensure that you're running SP2, and that you have the latest and greatest drivers for any other "after market" things you've installed (soundcard, nic card etc.). As a last resort, you could try updating your firmware for your dvd/cd drive. Your firmware is ok to update, but most manufacturers do not recomend updating or installing drivers for dvd/cd drives, as they prefer to let windows do it.

If you do all of this, and it fails, than there might be something else besides a driver conflict with your dvd/cd drive. Try booting into safe mode and see if you still have issues. If not, than you know that your drivers for your dvd/cd drive are working fine, and that it might be something else that's causing issues.

Hope this helps!
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users