Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

$550 Budget First Build - Advice

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 londokampung

londokampung

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:41 AM

Hello everyone!

Iím planning on building my first rig in the next week or so. I have been looking around online, doing research and such, but am terribly confused with all the many options I have. My budget is $550, and no I cannot go over that.
I plan on using the computer mostly for running programs like Office, browsing videos online, watching good quality DVDs, listening to music, and also playing games. Whatís important to me is that it will be able to run these programs simultaneously, and fast. My old computer takes ages to copy/paste large files, and I would hope my new build to have no problem doing these tasks lightning fast.

I want to be able to play the latest games at low-medium quality if thatís possible.

So, these are the items that I need to buy:

CPU
GPU
Motherboard
PSU
Case
Memory
Hard Drive
Optical Drive
Monitor

So, any suggestions would be much appreciatedÖ

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 21 October 2012 - 06:42 AM

$550 is a very tight budget when you have to include the monitor plus OS which leaves very little for the main system. "Lightning fast" won't be possible without a SSD which is going to exceed budget.

Edited by killerx525, 21 October 2012 - 06:43 AM.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 21 October 2012 - 12:49 PM

I was about to suggest a prebuilt for $399 and adding a decent video card, but can't squeeze in a monitor for that amount. As killerx525 pointed out,"Lighning fast" for $550 don't exist.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:39 AM

You could save a few dollars by re-using your current case, monitor, and optical drive/s.
Still won't get you "lightning fast", but with the money you save, you could buy better components, getting you closer to your objective.
You could start with a decent, upgradeable system, and add additional upgrades as funds allow.
As killerx mentioned, your OS is going to knock a big chunk (approx $100) out of your available funds, so you'll be left with approx. $450 dollars for purchasing the components.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:38 PM

What gamez are you referring to?

Games are possible deal-brekers (IMO) when you talk about being inexpensive, since gaming accounts for many of the more expensive purchases that may result for a system.

In any case, just as a starting point in your planning, take a look at below.

CPU/RAM, $181

Motherboard, $55

PSU, $45 . Ultras are decent, I have been using them for years now and I don't believe in paying more than an item is worth.

Case/monitor...use what you have until you can afford what you want.

Hard drive/optical drive...use what you have until you can upgrade/add.

Windows, circa $100

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 24 October 2012 - 06:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users