Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows xp not booting properly

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 pigfoot

pigfoot

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:30 AM

When I am turning on my pc I am getting this message on the screen- Secondary hard disk drive 1 not found. Click F1 to continue or Click F2 to go to setup. Windows will not load until I click F1. I also notice one cd-rom drive is not showing up when I click MY COMPUTER. I have windows Xp on this pc. I did not add any new hardware. It just started doing this for no reason.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 21 October 2012 - 06:36 AM

Try replacing the CMOS battery then load your BIOS setup and check the hard drives and optical drives are being recognized. Check your boot priority if your system drive is first on boot.

Tekken

#3 pigfoot

pigfoot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:52 AM

Try replacing the CMOS battery then load your BIOS setup and check the hard drives and optical drives are being recognized. Check your boot priority if your system drive is first on boot.

I tried that and it still does same thing.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 22 October 2012 - 05:55 AM

What operating system are you running?

Can you see the drives in the BIOS?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 pigfoot

pigfoot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:15 AM

What operating system are you running?

Can you see the drives in the BIOS?

I have windows xp on this system and has only 1 hard drive. There is 1 dvd-r rom drive and one cd/r burner drive. Only the dvd one is showing up in Bios I think. The cd/r one is not showing up when i click MY COMPUTER. Only the DVD one shows there. Also came across this but I thought you should look at it first to see if this link is legit as I was afraid to change any registry myself- http://www.theeldergeek.com/restore_missing_cd_or_dvd_drive.htm

Edited by pigfoot, 24 October 2012 - 04:20 AM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:39 AM

Editing the Registry has the potential to leave your computer inoperable is you make a mistake while making the edit. For this reason I try not to suggest it if there is another way to go about making a repair or diagnosis of a bad optical drive in this case.
One of these may help:

CD drive or DVD drive is missing or is not recognized by Windows .

Restart computer afterward.

The popular CDGONE patch. CD drives may vanish in Windows Explorer, Device Manager, etc. if a third-party CD-burning package has been uninstalled and Registry references for some code modules aren't removed successfully. This patch and a reboot usually will restore the missing drives.

Download, and run Restore Missing CD Drive patch.

Scroll down the page to Restore Missing CD Drive. Click on this to start the download.

Double click on cdgone.zip to unzip it.
Right click on cdgone.reg, click Merge.
Accept registry merge.
Restart computer.

or...

Go to Device Manager, click on the "+" sign to the left of IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.

You will see two listings:

ATA Channel0 (or Primary Channel)
ATA Channel1 (or Secondary Channel)

Right click on each of them and click Uninstall, then Confirm.

The Controllers will be automatically reinstalled after restarting your computer.

If the above won't help, most likely, you need a new drive.

Edited by dc3, 24 October 2012 - 10:43 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:22 PM

Not seeing your system drive from BIOS is not a good impression. Can you check if the cable is not worn out? Try another slot if its a SATA drive. Remove the optical drive leaving the hard drive only attached then check on the difference.

Tekken

#8 pigfoot

pigfoot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:23 PM

This is what shows up on BIOS-

Posted Image

#9 pigfoot

pigfoot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:38 PM

When I started up the pc today it says now SECONDARY DISK DRIVES 0 CAN NOT BE FOUND SECONDARY DISK DRIVE 1 CAN NOT BE FOUND.

I can see the DVDR-ROM still though when I clcik MY COMPUTER and it works.....but the other drive which I guess is Secondary drive 0 is not showing up . I still need to try if that RESTORE CD PATCH will work though now...if not I will report results.

#10 pigfoot

pigfoot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:02 AM

I ran the patch and it did not help. I am still getting on startup the black screen saying secondary disk drive 0 is not found. I hope this patch that was installed was legit?

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:23 AM

I hope this patch that was installed was legit?

This program is legitimate. I would not suggest anything which was not.

#12 pigfoot

pigfoot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:22 AM

I hope this patch that was installed was legit?

This program is legitimate. I would not suggest anything which was not.

So what can be tried now? It still shows SECONDARY DISK DRIVE 1 CAN NOT BE FOUND...when windows tries to boot up. I unplugged the cable going to this drive and it still does the same. By the way this is not SATA drive...it is IDE. Should I try to uninstall this patch that was installed in the registry by system restore or just leave it? Does there have to be 2 secondary drives plugged in at same time for everything to work correctly and not get this Drive disk not found message?

Edited by pigfoot, 30 October 2012 - 12:40 AM.

#13 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:16 AM

Check your jumper settings on secondary drives and use cable select.

Tekken

#14 pigfoot

pigfoot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:34 AM

I did that and still did not help. What I did though was go to BIOS and turned OFF secondary drive 1. Now the blackscreen does not come up during startup saying secondary drive 1 can not be found. Do you think it is a malfunctioning secondary disk drive?

#15 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:50 AM

Do you think it is a malfunctioning secondary disk drive?

Yes, part of the symptoms of blackscreen, operating system not found press F1 etc. is a failing/failed optical drive attached on boot up.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users