Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WebCam

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Teisei

Teisei

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 20 October 2012 - 11:38 PM

i have a webcam that i had hooked up to my old computer and the pix were ok looking.... i built a new comp and hooked it up to the new comp and now they are all grainy... any one have any idea how to make the pix better looking.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:29 AM

Presumably there are some settings for the webcam such as resolution. Do you have the same ones as in the old PC? There could be default settings for the camera and settings for the web application you are using.

#3 Teisei

Teisei
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:12 PM

yes there are settings... res is the size of the image not the grainy junk.

this is what im talking about:
Grainy: http://vinaynag.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/grainy.jpg
VS
Normal: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_LNKl24iTwzA/TOwetyMxWcI/AAAAAAAAAt4/cA9zK5sV34w/s1600/social+media+control.png

my webcam should be a HP Webcam HD-2200 if that helps...

#4 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:01 PM

The two pics are somewhat awkward to compare, jpg v png, almost monochrome v colour, differences in size. There is however a visible difference! My first impression was that the grainy picture looked like the image had been digitally zoomed, only part of the picture area being used. Cameras that have an optical zoom will use the full 1280x720. If the camera is 1280x720 and the digital zoom set for the camera is 5x, then the actual picture area used is 256x144. That is then enlarged to 1280x720 and looks fairly horrible. Does zooming ring a bell?

Edited by Nanobyte, 25 October 2012 - 09:18 PM.

#5 Teisei

Teisei
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2012 - 02:13 PM

zoom is greyed out and cant seem to click it... i am not sure what i did but i got it to look ok... the FPS seems to be a bit slow still but at least doesn't look like your watching a channel with a weak signal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users