OK, still having a problem. I followed the instructions and got rid of the virus. I cannot seem to recover (unhide?) my desktop icons. I first used the unhider program in the instructions, then went and downloaded another I found on the internet, then I finally went through step by step and into the properties and "show all hidden", and running the -H command prompt manually and nothing seems to want to recover or unhide them. Any other ideas? Below is the logfile produced by unhide.
nhide by Lawrence Abrams (Grinler)
Copyright 2008-2012 BleepingComputer.com
More Information about Unhide.exe can be found at this link:
Program started at: 10/21/2012 10:21:36 AM
Windows Version: Windows 7
Please be patient while your files are made visible again.
Processing the C:\ drive
Finished processing the C:\ drive. 177905 files processed.
Processing the D:\ drive
Finished processing the D:\ drive. 122 files processed.
Processing the F:\ drive
Finished processing the F:\ drive. 34 files processed.
Processing the Q:\ drive
Finished processing the Q:\ drive. 0 files processed.
Restoring the Start Menu.
* 17 Shortcuts and Desktop items were restored.
Searching for Windows Registry changes made by FakeHDD rogues.
- Checking HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Explorer
- Checking HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Explorer
- Checking HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\System
- Checking HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced
No registry changes detected.
Restarting Explorer.exe in order to apply changes.
Program finished at: 10/21/2012 10:26:00 AM
Execution time: 0 hours(s), 4 minute(s), and 24 seconds(s)