Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Failed to Start, System Repair Can't Discover Problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jahleel

Jahleel

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:32 PM

Hello, I've been searching all over the internet on an alterative machine for a solution to a problem that occurred about an hour ago.

To offer background on the machine:

• I upgraded it last summer with a 60gb Solid State HD to host the OS and a 700gb HD to host the bulk non-system essential files and apps
  • I've had no anti-virus on it but occasionally run the Microsoft free Scan & Repair along with Iobits cleanup suite
  • There's been this Win7.CH Trojan Horse that is occasionally detected for the past 6 months and even though I select to fix and repair, it always comes back
  • The machine will occasionally crash after exiting a high performance application like a videogame

After installing the Planetside2 videogame Beta on the 700gb drive, my SS drive began to become strangely over-stuffed with files, and I could not narrow down where they originated. I uninstalled a few unessential Iobit programs and cleared my downloads and recycle bin, then something even stranger happened. The SS drive had 16gb free, while this entire time I've had it I've only managed to keep it about 2-4gb free, and the file clogging stopped from what I could tell.

Anyway, a week or so later, after exiting the Planetside2 Beta application earlier the machine crashed (unsurprisingly) but upon startup, did not recover.

Startup repair unsurprisingly can't fix it, and I receive the following problem signature:

The Windows Repair Problem Signature
Problem Event Name: Startup Repair Offline
Problem Signature 1: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 2: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 3: Unknown
Problem Signature 4: 21200506
Problem Signature 5: AutoFailover
Problem Signature 6: 17
Problem Signature 7: CorruptFile
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

I found this post:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic448339.html/page__pid__2654556

and decided to give the posted solution a go since it seemed so similar to mine.

Unfortunately I did not realize that the tech tailored the solution specifically to the posters scan results, so when I tried to use the same solution, it didn't work.

I'm quickly realizing that my problem is not the same...

What I've tried so far

I ran Chkdsk and it said F parameters aren't specified and it only took a millisecond to complete showing nothing wrong.

The Startup Repair scan returns are all "0x0" errors.

The afformentioned forum posts solution didn't work since it wasn't specified to my machine.

-----------

There is indeed corruption, but can it be fixed?

Right now I used notepad to access the computer contents and am copying my gigantic folder to an external (Is it wise to host absolutely all your content in a single gigantic folder?), everything is frozen and judging by previous transfers will be for the next 40 minutes.

-----------

Thanks for any input!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 20 October 2012 - 09:28 PM

Hello -
Click Start > Programs > Accessories > Find Command Prompt and Right click to Run as Administrator > Type sfc /scannow > Enter and let it run (15 minutes)
Next do the same as above, but Type chkdsk /r and let it run (about 1 hour) NOTE that both have a space prior to /

Uninstall all IObit programs (Advanced System Care etc) as they interfere with Antivirus and other Antimalware programs -
Uninstall Planetside2 videogame Beta if you can find it

Install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free Update it and run a Quick Scan (post the log back here)

Download Security Check by Screen317 from HERE or HERE, and save it to your Desktop.
* Double-click SecurityCheck.exe
* Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
* A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.
Note: If a security program requests permission to access the Internet, allow it to do so.

Thank You -

#3 Jahleel

Jahleel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2012 - 12:20 PM

Hello -
Click Start > Programs > Accessories > Find Command Prompt and Right click to Run as Administrator > Type sfc /scannow > Enter and let it run (15 minutes)
Next do the same as above, but Type chkdsk /r and let it run (about 1 hour) NOTE that both have a space prior to /

Uninstall all IObit programs (Advanced System Care etc) as they interfere with Antivirus and other Antimalware programs -
Uninstall Planetside2 videogame Beta if you can find it

Install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free Update it and run a Quick Scan (post the log back here)

Download Security Check by Screen317 from HERE or HERE, and save it to your Desktop.
* Double-click SecurityCheck.exe
* Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
* A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.
Note: If a security program requests permission to access the Internet, allow it to do so.

Thank You -

Unfortunately I cannot boot the machine.

I have been performing any changes through notepad and the command prompt in "System Recovery Options". To my knowlege, I do not know how to uninstall or install any programs through this interface.

I was able to locate Iobit and Planetside2 folders which I promptly put in the recycling bin, I don't know any better method since I'm unaware of any means to add/remove programs through this interface.

I put in the "sfc /scannow" command but it returned "There is a system repair pending which requires reboot to complete. Restart Windows and run sfc again." Upon restarting the system and inputting the command, I still get the same response.

The "chkdsk /r" command returns: "The type of the file system is NTFS. Cannot lock current drive. Windows cannot run disk checking on this volume because it is write protected."

Any workarounds or explanations you can offer?

#4 HetfieldJ

HetfieldJ

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 21 October 2012 - 02:51 PM

Windows startup repair is useless. Your windows files have got corrupted, most likely because of a virus. I dont think there is too much you can do..

#5 Jahleel

Jahleel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2012 - 03:16 PM

Windows startup repair is useless. Your windows files have got corrupted, most likely because of a virus. I dont think there is too much you can do..

Thanks for the reply!

I want to direct you to:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic448339.html/page__pid__2654556

Using this thread I succesfully followed the fixes and such right up until the input was needed to actually implement a fix. Since I dont know how to translate the results of the scan, I don't know how to move forward with a fix.

Thanks for suggesting it's a virus. I cannot boot the OS in Safemode or any kind of mode given the options when I tap f8.

Is it possible crucial files have been removed, crippling the OS? Or is there a viral code preventing proper startup?

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 21 October 2012 - 03:49 PM

OK -

I have posted to try and get someone to help you reboot the computer -
My Bad for mis-reading your post -

Regards -

#7 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,083 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:05 PM

Do you have any reason to suspect this problem is in fact caused by malware? To me it sounds more like a hardware issue.

Please enter the Recovery Environment command prompt and do the following: type notepad and press enter. In Notepad click File > Open and in the left panel click Computer. Please tell me what the drive letter is of the drive that has the Windows and Users folder.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users