Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Won't Load Vista

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ctsmeouwow

ctsmeouwow

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 20 October 2012 - 04:25 PM

Hello. I am running Vista Home 64 Bit on a Gateway DX4200.

I recently moved and had not started my computer for about six months. When I did, it came up to the password screen and I couldn't remember my password at the time. After a number of unsuccessful attempts, The PC rebooted itself and now it won't load windows at all.

I couldn't remember my bios password either, so I removed the CMOS battery and jumper, and that cleared it, so I can now get into the bios. I have also reseated all cables. I have a SATA hard drive.

When I try to boot my PC, it gets stuck on the Microsoft screen with a running bar toward the bottom that just keeps running. I've left it on for over 24 hours with no change. During this time, my power button blinks as if it is in hibernation mode. If I launch windows repair, I get the same result. Same for Last known configuration. I cannot boot into safe mode. It says Loading Windows but nothing happens. The difference here though, is that the power button stays solid and the monitor does not go to sleep. I'm not sure how long I have let it stay on trying to run safe mode in the past, but currently, it's been sitting there for over an hour (though the screen is just black now).

I had a virus on this PC last year, but that issue had been resolved, and I had been using it for about six months with no problem before I moved. The computer did not come with a boot/recovery disk.

Any help would be welcome. Thank you very much.

Edited by ctsmeouwow, 20 October 2012 - 05:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:55 AM

Moving may have resulted in some connections becoming loose. I'd open the case...remove/reconnect all PSU and motherboard cables (other than control panel) and ensure that the BIOS properly detects all drives.

Might as well reseat the RAM and any cards which may be installed.

FWIW: Gateway Support Page

Louis

#3 ctsmeouwow

ctsmeouwow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:50 PM

Thanks. The bios does detect all drives and there are no error messages on the splash screen.

I think I've reseated everything that I can with no change. Gateway support is no help. No good info on the site, and they won't do anything because the computer is out of warranty. I appreciate you weighing in.

Edited by ctsmeouwow, 21 October 2012 - 08:52 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:36 AM

FWIW: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/repair-windows-with-windows-startup-repair/

I don't have or know much about Vista, but other members here do...let's wait for other inputs :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users